• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ranger tow rig

link040188

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
will a new 4.0 ranger be enough to tow my 4.0 4x4 to the trail?:icon_confused:

Danger FX4 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I towed my 90' LWB ranger (4.0, 2WD) on a 16 foot tandem axle trailer behind my 05' ranger (4.0, 4x4) 40 miles to my uncles garage. The truck would keep up with traffic, but I knew the load was back there. Also, it took signifigantly longer to stop too. Stopping and staying in control of the towing truck is a bigger issue than acceleration, and that, a ranger will struggle with, especially if the roads are wet or not paved. If it were me, I would use atleast a full size 1/2 truck (F150, Silverado 1500), if not a 3/4 ton truck.

Last edited:

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
With trailer brakes it should be fine. Just keep in mind that the trailer weighs more than the truck you're towing it with and drive accordingly. If it's an automatic trans and you plan on doing it often, I highly recommend an upgraded tranny cooler, like, the biggest one you can fit behind the grille. Also, if you like keeping up with traffic, you may want to consider an F-150 or larger.

I definately wouldn't try it without trailer brakes though, that's just asking for disaster.

Last edited:

link040188

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok so tranny cooler, trailer brakes. what if im towing it without a trailer

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
ok so tranny cooler, trailer brakes. what if im towing it without a trailer
Don't plan on going very fast! All 4 wheels on the ground tends to produce some "interesting" towing dynamics.

Again, if you plan on towing a ranger regulary for longer distances, more than 20 or 30 miles, you should look at a 1/2 ton at least.

link040188

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what about under 7 miles should i just drive my rig to the trail at that point

Cheaplabor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you only driving like 7 miles you may just want to drive it. Since its just a trail rig you may want to try and get farm plates if you can them in your state. They usually let you drive like 150 miles with farm plates.

link040188

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you only driving like 7 miles you may just want to drive it. Since its just a trail rig you may want to try and get farm plates if you can them in your state. They usually let you drive like 150 miles with farm plates.
do i need insurance to get farm plates cuz i dont think i could afford it along with all the cost of my new dd added

Cheaplabor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Differnt states have differnt rules on what you need to do and the requirerment to get them its just something to look into that could save you a few bucks if it works out. Because getting a trailer and pulling it with another ranger dosent sound like fun for a seven mile trip. Is min coverage realy that bad for that truck??

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Usually if it's going to be on the road at all it has to have insurance... I'm even think the Amish around here have to get insurance if they want to drive their tractors on the road (I don't really know, I think I heard it somewhere)...

pocket-rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 cyl.
Transmission
Manual
I would put minimum requirements on it regardless. What if someone pulls out in front of you and you aren't covered? That automatically makes it your fault and you will be up a creek without paddles on that one, not to mention the fines and stuff for driving without insurance.

jobar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Manual
If your only towing 7 miles, you should be ok. (depending on your towing experience) I wouldn't recommend a first time tower go at it. Make sure you give yourself plenty of room to stop.

If you plan on doing this regularly, like these other guys said, trailer brakes are a must, and a bigger tranny cooler wouldn't hurt. (I would recommend a 1/2 ton pickup but you said, you cant afford insurense)

Jimmeh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If your only towing 7 miles, you should be ok. (depending on your towing experience) I wouldn't recommend a first time tower go at it. Make sure you give yourself plenty of room to stop.

If you plan on doing this regularly, like these other guys said, trailer brakes are a must, and a bigger tranny cooler wouldn't hurt. (I would recommend a 1/2 ton pickup but you said, you cant afford insurense)
Considering a F150 is cheaper to insure then a Ranger, I would say that getting a half ton isn't completely out of the ball park.

If you tow it on the ground, make sure you take the rear drive shaft off.

link040188

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my budget is really tight i make around $13000 a year im still going to school as well i would like to get a f-150 it just needs to have more than 3 seats other than that it can be bone sock

jobar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Manual
my budget is really tight i make around $13000 a year im still going to school as well i would like to get a f-150 it just needs to have more than 3 seats other than that it can be bone sock
Yea, im a college student. Money gets really tight, alot of penny punching. If you can somehow afford a 1/2 ton, and are going to tow regularly, get one.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals