• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3200 Lbs??

AlwysBusted96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Couldn't really find anything, nor do I have the owners manual. I was wondering if my truck would tow an aluminum boat that weighs 3200 lbs with the trailer? I know that does not include gear and all that other stuff. Anyway my truck is a 96 B4000 with a 4.0 (aprox 40K miles on new engine), 4x4, 5 spd (new clutch with motor instal) with..... crappy 3.27s in the diffs. I have towed a heave tandem axle trailer with 2 full size quads, back of truck rounded over with camping gear and four adults before..... problem is I just never weighed it last time so hence the motive behind my question. Thanks in advance... I will continue to search in the meantime.

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
That seems pretty heavy for a trailer with no gear. I personally wouldn't do it. Does the trailer have brakes?

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
If you had 3.73 gears and trailer brakes I'd say it's no problem at all. Without trailer brakes stopping is going to be a little scary. With 3.27's you're going to be burning clutch getting it going and cruising in 4th.

A 3.73 swap is no big deal. You can find a pair of axles on the cheap from the junkyard as 3.73 was extremely common in the 91-94 explorers. Lots of ranger's came with them too. I know going from 3.27 to 3.73 on my explorer made a world of difference. I got my pair of axles for $150 I think.

Sprag-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Hopefully that trailer has surge brakes? 4.0 should be able to tow without too much trouble, with those gears you may want to take it easy on the clutch and not tow too long a distance.

AlwysBusted96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thank you for the responses. But I decided to he little pickup and get a decent full size for towing and hauling. But mainly got putting a camper shell on the back to sleep in. Nothing fancy, just out of the weather, Tired of having to clear out my garage just to set up my tent inside to dry before it is put away for the next time. Just about every time I go camping I get some kinda drizzle. So thanks again for the info.

07rangersport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for the responses. But I decided to he little pickup and get a decent full size for towing and hauling. But mainly got putting a camper shell on the back to sleep in. Nothing fancy, just out of the weather, Tired of having to clear out my garage just to set up my tent inside to dry before it is put away for the next time. Just about every time I go camping I get some kinda drizzle. So thanks again for the info.
A full size is your best bet if your gunna be doing alot of towing and hauling

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals