• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

turbo+4.0L

b2r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.0T-5.4
Transmission
Manual
I'm presently looking to swap my truck with a 5.0L and I want to beat the crap out of my 1993 4.0L .... the engine as 201 000 original miles and I have a Saab turbo lying around ...:headbang: so i'l fabricated the minimum to have the turbo runing ( they come cheap I work for Saturn/Saab :dunno:)

what would be the easiest way of ading a little fuel to at least have a full night of drag racing ???

I thought of adding a switch to open the circuit of the ECT to have it ritch enough but I don't know if it will cut it ???

any advice on destroying my engine would be great :icon_rofl:

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Plug the fuel return line maybe? That'll kick up the fuel pressure pretty quick. Watch, it won't break on you now. A turbo 4.0 is probably faster than a stock 5.0 too.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
get an adjustable fpr and crank it up. your gonna spool that turbo real fast and not generate much power tho if its the small saab turbo im thinking about, a hair dryer would prob blow as much air...

b2r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.0T-5.4
Transmission
Manual
I know they are kinda small but it's just for the fun of destroying an engine that I wouldn't dare resell otherwise

... I'l probably instal 2 of them if I fell that it's not enough ... dealer has to much to throw out :icon_rofl:

skyy_4life

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
well my friend has a saab 9-5 aero and he lets me drive it and that thing is ****ing fast for being a 4-banger. 2.3lturbo. small turbos can push out some power if u have the right shit.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Why go through all the effort to turbo it to destroy it? See how long it will last pegging off the rev limiter.

skyy_4life

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
yes it is alot of work to turbo a ranger... i would peg the rev limiter or see just how fast u can get in first gear... heh.

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
a small turbochargewr like the saabs unit will work ok. What is that turbo a T3 or Td04? Td05? Either way it will spool with the quickness as thats what a 4.0ohv needs to compliment the low torque curve that a stock 4.0 makes. It makes it a blast down low on the street but the turbine housing will be too small for a high end high HP setup. Use an adjustable FMU to crank pressure up under boost.

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
All this low end spooling is great, but just remember, its a lot harder on parts. Expect to replace crap sooner...

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
the most ivwe broken in a year of daily driving with a tiny singlw was a HG and that had too do with a unknown milage junkyard motor that was already drinking coolant before i boosted it. That and I was also leaning out due to no tune or fuel system mods to maintain a correct AFR

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah but 5 psi aint much, turn the boost up and run 10 psi at 2k, and its very hard on stuff, at lower RPM's, stuff doesnt happen as fast, cylinder pressures are held for longer periods of time, etc.

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
actually my setup did produce over 10lbs @ 2K quite a few times to try it out and its still together to this day

skyy_4life

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
how strong are a stock 4.0l piston compared to turbo pistons?

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
its hard to kill a stock 4.0 ohv bottom end. Ive rattled 4.0s to death to pull the heads and the bottom end was ready to go for another round, Ive pushed over 17psi thru the motor at relativly low rpms and leaned out severly with no failure, blown HG that still gets the truck around for months on end. Idk maybe its just luck but the 4.0 is hard to kill.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Why go through all the effort to turbo it to destroy it? See how long it will last pegging off the rev limiter.
:icon_rofl:

I wouldn't even waste my money turboing it unless that was the intended path I was going to take. I have shit loads of parts for my V8 swap, everything from the Lokar AOD kick down stuff, to a B&M shifter. There are still parts I need to buy. So far the actual work hasn't been what's keeping me getting it done, it's the $$$.

Pete

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals