• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Skid Plates and Lift Kit - Help!

Elmobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Liter V6
Transmission
Automatic
Can someone please tell me where to find skid plates and a lift kit for my ranger. I have a 2008 Ford Ranger XLT Extended Cab 2DR with a 4.0L V6, Automatic Transmission, 3.73:1 8.8" Limited Slip Rear Axle, and its a 4x4. The Ford Motor Company can't sell me ones that are options on the 09' models and from what I was told, there nothing more than plastic shielding. I just want skid plates that do what there designed for. I also can't find a lift kit either. I just want like a two or three inch lift kit at the most.

Elmobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Liter V6
Transmission
Automatic
The only lift kits that I can find are either a jerry rigged kit or ones that people use for Baja 1000 races. I really don't want to end up having someone custom build the skid plates and lift kit because that would require way to much money, money I don't think I have. If someone could help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks......

aiezzi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
the only lift kits made for the 98 + trucks are superlift which cost about 1500 and a body lift thats 125 from summit racing. you can also get a superlift skid plate if im correct that will fit the front end. the lift for the 98+ trucks only says to 05 but it will work on your truck also.

Cheaplabor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have an 04, when I contacted RCD this was there response, "We did offer a 5” suspension system for the Ford Ranger 4x4 models at one time, but unfortunately the kit was recently discontinued and is no longer available. If you have any questions or need any further information please feel free to e-mail us back, or you can also give us a call toll free at (866) 469-7257." I have seen some sites still selling so you might still find one.

beaujt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not really familiar with the 98+ rangers, but i believe you can crank the torsion bars and get a 1"-2" (FREE!!) and get an add-a-leaf for the back, about 2", or shackles, or just get a block and put in there...

beaujt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I read about crankin the torsion bars on here, so if you look around, in the technical library i bet you can find it there!

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
I don't know why you can't order the factory skidplates from a dealer. Junkyard would be cheaper anyway. The factory fuel tank skidplate, at least the one I got for my Sport Trac, is a VERY thick plastic composite which will bend and flex back instead of steel which will bend and stay bent (and maybe puncture your fuel tank). The factory also put front skidplates on some Off-Road and FX4 models.

Also try:
http://millersfabrication.com/
and
http://www.dixonbrosracing.com/

Millers lists Ranger applications up to 2000, I don't know if the skidplate would fit later models or not. Frame is the same but the bumper may be different. Besides bumpers and skidplates, Dixon Bros. has a lift kit and long-travel suspension for late-model Rangers but it costs a ton of money, about double what a Superlift costs.

alarmman08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ive got an 08 myself with no skid plates.You can find the one for the transfer case at a boneyard off a exploer ,had to modify it a bit The front one will run almost 300 from Ford ,but the gas tank one is about 150. Hope this helps

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals