• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Thoughts about wheel spacers an factory wheel studs?

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
i changed the rear in my 95 ranger a while back to get a different gear ratio.. was a bit easier to swap axles than it was to swap the gears... so i got an axle out of a 92 ranger.. after i paid for it an all i forgot about it being 3/4 of an inch narrower on each side so basically its 1.5 inches shorter than the factory one that was in the truck.. well i know i cant fit a 3/4 spacer on the wheel studs that would be STUPID to do.. iam not looking into spending a bunch of cash an can get some 1/4 3/8 spacers at the local ricer shop for like 8 bucks a piece.. would i be able to use those on the stock studs an still have enough threads to tighten down on?

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have used the 1/4 spacers for the rear before. The lugnut studs should take that much fine. Make sure you torque the lugnuts all the same. They make the 3/4 inch spacers for that but it would be the spacers going on the original studs and the spacer having different ones that the rim bolts to. If I remember right you have to change the axle studs to a shorter one.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm running a set of 1 1/4" spacers on the rear of my B2--it's a narrower Ranger axle so I need them to make it work. The guy I bought them from said he had trouble keeping the nuts that hold the spacer to the axle studs on. So I use red Loc-tite and torque them to 150ft# and I haven't had one come loose.

I would not use the spacers that just sandwich between the hub and wheel. The potential for movement that could cause the nuts to come loose is way to great with those.

Last edited:

oldmantruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I think the front studs are longer than the back because of the lockout hub flange. You might be able to put a set of front studs on the back and make up about 3/8 of an inch. Or it may be a different size on the press in part and not even work. Never did it, just a thought

Capt Jay

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93 body.
Make / Model
Ford(ish)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Get a set of wheel spacers, not the 1/4 that sandwich but the bolt on wheel spacers. I have a set on my offroad truck and they work just fine. I was tired of rolling over so I spaced mine out 1 1/2 inches per side and have had no problem. I think a set of 4 was $120, so it wasn't that expensive. It's alot cheaper than a new axel. Go to e-bay and buy a set. If you do that remember that "jeep" has the same bolt pattern as your ranger.

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong. ( but I'm not )

Jay

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals