• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

got my new carby- now what

jester77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ok, got my new carby- simple motorcraft rebuilt by holley from parts america. bought the one for the 78 pinto 2.8 liter.

Now all you hot shot pro tuners give me the advice I need.

What should my no- vacuum timing be set to??
What should it be once I hook up my vacuum??
Where should the vacuum hook up to the carb??
Do I really need the exhaust heat choke assist tube thingy??
Can my tube thingy just be a tube that I put down into the manifold for heat??

God I hope this thing works!!!:yahoo:

Lifted2x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

10 degrees btdc

Idk, never checked

There should be a vacuum port on the carb above the throttle plates. It is ported vacuum, dont just run it to the manifold

Just go to the parts store and get a manual choke kit, more reliable

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
ok, got my new carby- simple motorcraft rebuilt by holley from parts america. bought the one for the 78 pinto 2.8 liter.

Now all you hot shot pro tuners give me the advice I need.

God I hope this thing works!!!:yahoo:
10 degrees btdc,before and after hooking vacuum up,enginge warmed up and idling.Hook dizzy vacuum to the port just in front of the auto choke,at idle no vacuum,when reving vacuum should be present.

Block off 1/4 inch male flare at bottom of choke with cap from any central air conditioner service valve.

Good luck with it,I haven't been able to get mine happy and went back to the 350 and smaller jets.

jester77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This things runs beautiful!!!

I changed the carb, hooked the fuel line up and started it and watched as fuel came up through the two little vent holes on the top, what the hell........ realized I hooked the fuel line up to what looks like a float bowl vent..... hooked the fuel line up to the proper fuel line spot....

Started- idles amazing, set the timing to 10 btdc, idle down to 750 rpm, smooooooth!!!! Took it out for a test spin.... WOW!!! It actually idles when I pull up to a light!!!

Headed for work this morning in the cold, starts to stutter at mid power range?? Driving home, same thing- idles beautifully, about mid throttle it just feels like two cylinders are dropping off?? WTF?? Still push in the clutch idle right down??

going to change the plugs tomorrow, maybe with the holley I fowled the old plugs

(Need to figure out how to adjust out the throttle cable- too much slack... thought I saw a thread about that somewhere)

jester77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
AAAAHHHHHHH FUCH FUCH FUCH FUCH GAWDDDAAAMMMMNNNN FUCHING FORD RANGER PIECESSS OFFFF CRRRAPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAHHHHHHHHH I THINK I HAVE A DEAD CYLINDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM AT A POINT I JUST WANT TO GO PUSH IT DOWN A DAMN HILL AND WATCH IT DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thefinger::thefinger::thefinger::thefinger::thefinger::thefinger::thefinger:
:thefinger::thefinger::thefinger::thefinger::thefinger::thefinger::thefinger:
:thefinger::thefinger::thefinger::thefinger::thefinger:

My wifey is sick of my greasy sticky stinky oil grease covered hands, my constant conversation about what is next I need to fix!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am actually happy about the last year and a half of Ranger ownership, got me to and from work, driving 60 miles a day, and after a year and a half I only have around 1100 dollars into this thing, but dammit when is it time to cut and run, take on a truck payment.

Dammit:bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling:
:bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling:

small ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
171 c.i. of fury
Transmission
Manual
Well I am sure glad its a cylinder and not the Holley! May be you should spend more money on a fuel pump or trying to tune your new carb instead spending 10 min on a compression test. I am not convinced you have a bad cylinder either from you track record as a mechanic. Just my two cents

jester77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
nice response!! GEEZ!!! Well I didn't buy a compression tester- I just did the plugs and the wires. The plugs were so carbon fouled from the HOLLEY!!! I just think I bought a not so good rebuilt holley and tried to run with it for a year that the engine is just so loaded down. I changed the mains on the holley from a 61, to a 58 and finished with a 56. But since they were so carboned up I am pretty sure I blew a power valve on the holley and it would have been fine. I also don't think the choke was working right on the holley either so....

I will give my two cents in response:

When you do the whole ignition/ carb swap- it's worth it!! The ignition has been flawless.
Buy your carb from a reputable rebuild shop or someplace like Summitt racing. I spent a year dealing with what probably would have been remedied if I would have spent the extra 50 dollars and went with a better shop instead of trying to save a buck on ebay.

I am sure that there will be more questions asked about fine tuning the Motorcraft, but it's just nice to pull up to a light and have the truck idle down. I am sure I will burn through a couple sets of plugs before I have everything tuned just right, the black soot that is coming out of my exhaust right now is disgusting, but I am sure it will burn itself out over the next few days.

:icon_cheers:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals