• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

starter issues

roughranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok i went to start my 85 bronco II the other day and it cranks hard, its like the starter is set to deep and its binding, i noticed it last summer but it only does it when its cold or first start it after setting for a week or so in the summer. Is it indeed set to deep and needs shimmed or is this a common problem? thanks:D

Eric Kropp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When you say "cranks hard" do you mean it labors a lot like cranking an engine that is tight, or siezing or does the starter make some serious metal to metal sounds?

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I suggest you pull the starter and clean it and lube it.
I disassembled mine for that and it has been fine since.
I think the cold makes the dirt and grit in the grease make the gear engagement LESS than desired, resulting in the noise you hear.

roughranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok i am pretty sure that Earl and I are talking about the same thing, its got some metal sound to it, but its like it doesnt have enough battery to turn it and its turning hard with the metal sound i will just drag it to the shop and drop the starter and see waht the problem is.... thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals