• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

turbo exploder on the dyno

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
turbo exploder on the dyno(upgrading turbo now)

I net up around 9 today for stangnation.coms dyno day at horse power ranch. Lots of cars showed up 60$ for 3 pulls including BBQ. John the owner was great. First run my truck was leaning out at 15AFR past 3000 so he cut it. Heres the first pull....

He asked if I just wanted to run it. I told him its stayed together so far. Then we discussed a few ideas and decided to apply pressure from the shops air system with an regulator to the FPR to bump the fuel pressure up. It worked the AFRs stayed around 10-11 and torque went up. Power went up a little but not much and that probally due to the restriction turbine housing? Heres the second pull...

He asked me if i wanted to ru na 3rd pull but I knew all i needed to know and told him were good. results were 155rwhp/250rwtrq. He calculated 20% drivetrain loss due to the trans/transfer and figured about 190ish HP at the crank. This was all on a stock ecu and a ghetto rigged FPR and a steady 5lbs of boost coming in at around 2000.

Last edited:

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
cool stuff man

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
Yep it was fun. And for anyone needing tuning done in WA i highly recomend John at horse power ranch hes a great guy willing to help you and knows alot. ill be back there with both of my vehicles when I get the fuel/tuning issues down. Or hey i can always just drive around with a air compressor to force the fpr shut lmao. :icon_rofl: I would have never thought of raising the fuel pressure with compressed air.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
well if you make it where the fpr vacuum pull isnt pulling then naturally your fp will go up. another mod for your fpr is take a hammer and punch and dent the sides where the spring is to make the spring inside of it tighter to raise the fp. its best to have a fp guage handy and watch how much you bump it to see what happens but its a simple yet effective way of rigging your fuel pressure. ultimately tho either of these "fixes" will give and youd be better off doing it the right way w/ larger injectors, adjustable fpr and possibly a larger fuel pump along w/ a retune.

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
i definitly would not beat on a fpr to increse fue lpressure. a very bad idea. For one if you dont have the vaccum hooked up how is the fpr going to see boost? Also if you bang the shit outa the fpr you will end up with an overly rich condition at idle.....not to mentio nthe possiblity to **** the diaphram up and have fuel leak into the vaccum system....Fmus are cheap ive been shoping for one lately ill skip on the "beat up my fpr to increase fuel pressure"

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
no.....you use a valve to restrict the return line:icon_cheers:

been doing that since the 80's:icon_thumby:

but an adjustable fpr is my first recommendation. surprised he didnt use the hose plier clamp trick...:icon_confused:

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
no.....you use a valve to restrict the return line:icon_cheers:

been doing that since the 80's:icon_thumby:

but an adjustable fpr is my first recommendation. surprised he didnt use the hose plier clamp trick...:icon_confused:
its called an FMU unit (which you can find for 20$ on craigslist all the time) All an fmu does is restrict the return line only under boost. A valve would create a rich condition out of boost not a good thing for your wallet when your at the pump all the time:icon_thumby: Theres an 12:1 fmu near me for 30$ right now Im trying to hold out for an adjustable fmu. What hose plier trick are you talking about obviously his trick did work since my AFRs went 10-11 across the board?

Last edited:

98blownranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so you gained around 30 hp to the ground with your turbo setup. I would of guessed for more. my supercharger on a stock motor no tune was over 200 the the ground.

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
your truck a 2wd whic hmeans less drivetrain loss. i hjave a trans and a transfer case. Also your truck is a eec v setup mine is eec iv. EEc v usually adapts to changes better. Did you have an fmu what were your AFRS. It's also good to consider the 91-92 4.0 ohvs had different combustion chambers than the 98. The 98 model year 4.0 ohv had an increased compression ratio and rolled off the factory floor with 170hp at the fly vs 155 of the earlier years....not to mention and improved intake......the thing that is probally limiting my power is a tiny turbine housing that was sized to a 2.5L 4cyl. Theres plenty left on the table. You siad untuned but did you have a FMU?

A motor that has a undersized turbo will generally show a larger torque curve than the HP number where asa larger turbo will show less torque down low but higher power numbers. this is due to the choking effect the turbine has on the motor but thats a theory i belive its mostly in the tune. What was your torque numbers?

Last edited:

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
Oh and one last thing was your truck dyno'd on a dynojet or a mustang dyno? oH and also how much boost was your blower pushing thats a big deal right there?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
mostly mustang dyno work with me...earlier old windyne

dieselboy740

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
86 bronco2
Transmission
Automatic
bigger exhaust housing!! id go for a straight t4. you mihgt be able to get a holset in there without a problem too

98blownranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I did not use a FMU a fully stock fuel system, and the most hp a OHV 4.0 was 160 fly wheel not 170. I was running a m62 blower with 6# with factory exhaust. torque was 255 ish I don't have the dyno sheets near me it was a while ago

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
Im curious of what your AFRs were. Beause with 21# injectors and pulling thru the oem MAF my AFRs first were at 15:1 across the whole range and my first numbers were alot lower. Once we rigged the FPR it pegged at 10-11 ish across the whole range and i picked up over 70 ftlbs on th second. Was your dyno on a dynojet or mustang dyno? dynojets commonly show a little higher numbers and thats why most aftermarket companies use the dynojet for better sales. A mustang dyno shows a little lower but some say more "real world" numbers. How far did you rev your 4.0? So im not too far off. Im happy with the results and now know the changes I have to make. I most likely need a larger turbo to free the backpressure up and a FMU to raise pressure and then go from there. I kinda like that my torque numbers were only 5 less ft lbs than your blown ranger yet i have a 4wd drivetrain. Either way ill probally be back sometime this summer to the dyno with miore boost/larger turbo/and more fuel.:icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals