• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

myCB problems

ccrunner1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
well first of all i can hear my windshield wipers through the radio.(The only real problem) but i don't know what to do with all my extra coax cable.(its just bondled under the radio) Or how to run it a little more permanently.(right now i have it taped to the door frame)

rjppunk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
I don't know much about cb radios but is everything shielded including the cable? For some strange reason it may be picking up your windshield wipers?

ccrunner1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
the power cable for it is just hooked up to the battery. ill have picks in a sec

rjppunk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
this doesnt have to do with ur problem but did you put a fuse on that?

Bob Myers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You may have to run a filter for the radio, to reduce the noise caused by the electric motor. Some radios are more susceptible to noise than others, it seems the Cobra of today is living on their 20 year old reputation and turning out crappy units. With inferior filtering and much light duty componenets, but that is the way of today with all products.
For your coax cable, if you think you are going to leave that antenna there then tuck the cable up under the rubber on the door sills, and run it to your radio. You cab either cut off the excess, if your swr is good now then it will be then too. On a loaded coil antenna coax cable is irrelevant. If you do no wish to cut the cable then the loops you have should be at a 90º angle to each other, not looped as you have it now. If you must run parallel loops then make them as long as few as possible, and if possible separate them from close proximity of each other

Bob Myers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
get the ground wire off that fender bolt, run it to the battery too, or to some other place where a known good ground can be had.

ccrunner1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
its not long enough to run it to the battery. and thanks for the help about the coax. its not a cobra

Bob Myers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
yes it is! Radio Shack current models were built on the same line as Cobra.
If your wire won't go to the battery then find a ground wire going to the body or under dash and put it there with that.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i would shorten the ground wire considerable. there is a large, metal support behind the center of the dash where mine is currently grounded. its close to the radio and dry. a ground loop isolator might help your interference noises, but it could also be from an improperly tuned antenna. do you know what your SWR is? if not, it is worth your time to buy a $10 SWR meter from radio shack or have the system tuned at a radio shop.

i had a magnetic mount antenna for years before i finally "commited" myself with a perminent base. i had to drill a hole in the roof (wince!) and ran the coax up high, along the passanger door pillar, then through the hole located behind the dome light (makes for easy access as you can go in through the dome light hole or the 3rd brake light hole by removing either fixture). i can take pictures of the cable routing and mount for you in the morning if youd like, as i currently have my interior torn apart anyway to track down a leak.

i highly reccoment going with a perminent base for your antenna. it makes for a much cleaner install with more solid connections. plus you can cut your coax to the length of your application (i know your not supposed to, but i did so on all 3 of my vehicles and all 3 have good SWR). ive heard the SWR length thing is a myth :dunno: with my setup i managed about 1.5:1 SWR, and it performs very well.

Bob Myers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i would shorten the ground wire considerable. there is a large, metal support behind the center of the dash where mine is currently grounded. its close to the radio and dry. a ground loop isolator might help your interference noises, but it could also be from an improperly tuned antenna. do you know what your SWR is? if not, it is worth your time to buy a $10 SWR meter from radio shack or have the system tuned at a radio shop.

i had a magnetic mount antenna for years before i finally "commited" myself with a perminent base. i had to drill a hole in the roof (wince!) and ran the coax up high, along the passanger door pillar, then through the hole located behind the dome light (makes for easy access as you can go in through the dome light hole or the 3rd brake light hole by removing either fixture). i can take pictures of the cable routing and mount for you in the morning if youd like, as i currently have my interior torn apart anyway to track down a leak.

i highly reccoment going with a perminent base for your antenna. it makes for a much cleaner install with more solid connections. plus you can cut your coax to the length of your application (i know your not supposed to, but i did so on all 3 of my vehicles and all 3 have good SWR). ive heard the SWR length thing is a myth :dunno: with my setup i managed about 1.5:1 SWR, and it performs very well.
Sound advice.
As for coax length, if the antenna is truly resonant the length of the coax is irrelevant, if cutting the length changes SWR then your antenna was not resonant and was feeding voltage back along the feedline any way. I do roof mount NMO mounts on everything I put radios in, my wifes Cherokee had one in the roof, my BroncoII has 2, my F250 has three. None leak, all work as should and have maybe 6" more coax than needed to make the trip from the antenna to the radio

ccrunner1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
my radio has the swr meter built in and keep it around 1 across the board. what about parking garages with a permanent base? and with cutting the coax how do i hook the end back up

i dont think im ready to drill just yet, but could you take a picture of the metal column you were talking about. its also harder to find an antena because mine recieves the NOAA alerts(which comes in perfectly clear no matter what, WHY)

Last edited:

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
I ran a 3ft antenna off the rollbar I had in my truck with a 4" lift, and it was fine in parking garages... Just gave the little flexy spring a workout.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
theres a reason they call them "whip" antennas :icon_thumby:

most garages are plenty tall. the ones that arent i can either let the antenna "self clear", or remove it (i keep an el-cheapo 9/16 in the glove box just for this purpous).

ill get pics later this afternoon.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals