• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 to 2.8 swap

cckc135r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 liters of German fury
Transmission
Manual
I have an 88 XLT 2WD Ranger that has a boat anchor 2.9 that is way past shot and a 5 speed trans. I have found what appears to be a good deal on a rebuild 2.8. I'm thinking I would like to switch the 2.9 for the 2.8. I know I would need to work on the fuel pressure by changing the pump and so on but is there anything else that I would need to look in to? The 2.8 came from a 76ish pinto and my real question is will the motor mounts work in the 2.9 Ranger? The 2.8 already an electronic dist. and controller and will come with a carb.

The biggest thing I've heard so far that the pilot bearing on the 2.8 is in the crank and the pilot bearing on the 2.9 is in the flywheel.

If anyone has done this before please let me know as I could really use any good info.....such as what problems I will have, what bolts directly in place and what will need to be fabbed up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Z3CHYD

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 front 5 rear
Tire Size
225/60R15
Well im not sure about the motor mounts, personally, i would look for another 2.9 or a small block. Putting in a 2.8 would be a step backwards in every aspect, power, torque, speed, etc. But if your dedicated to doing this swap by all means go for it.

Last edited:

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Bell housing pattern is the same.
A return stlye fuel pressure regulator will solve the ploblem with the fuel pump.
The pilot bearing is not a problem, just bolt the 2.9 flywheel on.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic

Z3CHYD

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 front 5 rear
Tire Size
225/60R15
i was told the 2.8 an 2.9 bellhousing was different?

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i was told the 2.8 an 2.9 bellhousing was different?
You were told wrong. The 2.8, 2.9, and 4.0 all share the same bell housing.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Yeah, same belhousing...

Why tho? Step backward in my opnion...

I would look for another 2.9, as it would be a bolt in plug and play swap.

Or, maybe bolt in a 4.0 :icon_thumby:

Z3CHYD

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 front 5 rear
Tire Size
225/60R15
Yeah, same belhousing...

Why tho? Step backward in my opnion...

I would look for another 2.9, as it would be a bolt in plug and play swap.

Or, maybe bolt in a 4.0 :icon_thumby:
+1 on just getting another 2.9

Nipplechops

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I have an 88 XLT 2WD Ranger that has a boat anchor 2.9 that is way past shot and a 5 speed trans. I have found what appears to be a good deal on a rebuild 2.8. I'm thinking I would like to switch the 2.9 for the 2.8. I know I would need to work on the fuel pressure by changing the pump and so on but is there anything else that I would need to look in to? The 2.8 came from a 76ish pinto and my real question is will the motor mounts work in the 2.9 Ranger? The 2.8 already an electronic dist. and controller and will come with a carb.

The biggest thing I've heard so far that the pilot bearing on the 2.8 is in the crank and the pilot bearing on the 2.9 is in the flywheel.

If anyone has done this before please let me know as I could really use any good info.....such as what problems I will have, what bolts directly in place and what will need to be fabbed up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Speaking from experience with swapping in a 2.8L in to a truck that didn't have one to begin with, it isn't something I would recommend. Mind you, I went from a four cylinder to a V6 while you are going from a V6 to another V6.

The motor mounts will work, but they require some trimming to clear the fuel pump on the driver's side. You will also have to perform some wire splicing to get the gauges and charging system to work. It really wouldn't be that involved, but the 2.8L has about as much jam in stock form as a fuel injected 2.3L four cylinder running on three cylinders. It is a reliable but very disappointing engine.

You would be better off to find another 2.9L. They are very common in the yards around here. Hell, I have one in my '88 X-cab that I would give you, but you are quite a ways away. Downgrading sucks. You'll be disappointed in the end.

cckc135r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know a lot of guys here are saying WTF. However, it is what I have available to me at this point. The 2.9 that I found to replace mine with really didn't turn out any better than the one that is in the truck already. I have in fact looked around here to find another 2.9 because like other have said it's plug and play plus the EFI. But again this other 2.8 is what I have available to me and it has been rebuilt with a bit bigger cam, a better intake and a 350 cfm holley and also has a mallory distributor in it.

The other side of the equation is that the 2.9 that is currently in my truck needs so much that the price of new parts far exceeds the price of the 2.8.

I'm also trying to get out of this truck but make it somewhat reliable for someone else. Not really into %&^$#$&*(&%$ a buddy. I had an 85 BII that had the 2.8 in it and loved it. Didn't really care too much for the A4LD in it but I did really like the BII. Only fixing to sell it and get a bigger truck.

Nipplechops,
I'll do some more looking around here, but would like to talk to you about your engine sometime and thanks for the information.

Last edited:

Nipplechops

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
There is a way to drop the 2.8L in and keep the 2.9L engine management. There have been a few guys that have gone beyond the 3.8L CFI installation and used the 3.8L throttle body with the 2.9L engine management. Takes a bit of work, but it is doable.

If you are looking at getting rid of the truck anyways, then the downgrade thing really isn't an issue. Just make sure that you have no visual or sniffer type emissions tests in your area.

cckc135r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Too many farmers in Kansas with too many old vehicles. If they required that then they would put some of the farmer out of business. At any rate, I don't have to worry about a sniffer check or visual check here. On the flip side I have had many other Rangers before and really liked the trucks but they were all the 4 cylinder trucks, loved em and never had any troubles with them. This 2.9 has been a real nightmare to deal with, the more I dig into it the more troubles I've been finding. At this point I'm half temped to sell as is and move to something different.

At any rate, nipplechops, thanks for your input, it has been very informative and I have learned quite a bit.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals