• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

injector size and brand for S/C'd nitrous ranger

Yellowsplash

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Your not going to need anything that big.... You might want to add some info on that "engine in the basement".

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
+1

it depends on what kind of horsepower figures your going to put out. how much boost? how much nos? wet or dry?

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
looking for about 400 at the crank. 9-10 psi of boost off a eaton m90 with w/m and a 50 shot max of nitrous dry

i have 30 pound injectors in the basement, but i didnt think those would be sufficent

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
the 30#ers- should be fineand go wit ha wet kit. you don't wanty a bigger injector than you need otherwise the motor will have a hard time trying to tune the idle and it may not even idle that great.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
30lb injectors are NOT enough to support 400HP even if you had 8 of them (i forgot to ask, is this a v-6, or v-8 your working on?). your better off to have too large of an injector than too small (turbo cat should know a thing or two about this)...although sizing the injector properly would provide the best results.

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
Too large of an injector creates unstable fuel flow due to at idle when little fuel is needed. This is why the Ford GT uses two 42# injectors per cylinder. A 4.0 ( I assume this will be a 4.0) at 9-10lbs of boost will be around 300hp at the crank roughly. I didnt do any big calculations but 30-40#s should be in range somewhere in there. im not a nitrous guy but I belive wet kits are setup to deliver fuel along with the nitrous so theres your fuel for when your on the bottle.

At 90% duty cycle at 45psi 24lb injectors are rated good to 384hp roughly. So tell me that 30lbers are not good to 400?

Last edited:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
he said he was looking for 400 at the crank and a dry shot. 30lb injectors would probably be fine for 300 HP on a wet shot (which supplies its own fuel)...but hes going to lean out if he pushes it over that or runs a dry shot.

id rather sacrifice idle quality than burn through pistons.

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
At 90% duty cycle at 45psi 24lb injectors are rated good to 384hp roughly. So tell me that 30lbers are not good to 400?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
whats your BSFC to get that number? .1? :icon_rofl:

or are you talking about a v-8 now?

and i always use a maximum duty cycle of 80%. that leaves room for things like a tired fuel pump, clogged injectors or fuel filter, etc. thats the number ford and SVT use.

400 HP out of a v-6 will need at least 37lb injectors. 28lb-ers for a v-8.

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
whats your BSFC to get that number? .1? :icon_rofl:

or are you talking about a v-8 now?

and i always use a maximum duty cycle of 80%. that leaves room for things like a tired fuel pump, clogged injectors or fuel filter, etc. thats the number ford and SVT use.

400 HP out of a v-6 will need at least 37lb injectors. 28lb-ers for a v-8.
90% will be fine for what hes using the truck for. Actually Im jumping the gun here anyways more info about his setup is needed. We don't know what hes sliding into that motor. On a DD street/strip truck how long will he be at redline. Also how far will he rev. Now Im not an expert on the subject but one thing I do know is you do not want a bigger injector than necesary. 42#ers may be needed but more info about the setup is also needed. honestly i would skip the dry setup for a wet setup and sue the 30# injectors but hey RIP 4.0

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
again, its better to have too large of an injector than too small. its better to run rich than lean. rich will cost you fuel economy. lean will cost you a motor.

but i agree, more info (especially number of cylinders) is needed.

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
cylinders- 6

going to the dyno tommorow...gonna get those numbers up right when i come back, im pretty sure that i have 300hp at the crank right now..at 6lbs

going into the engine are forged pistons at probably 9.4:1 ratio, and ported and polished heads...

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
for 400HP out of a 6 cylinder, id snag up those 42lb-ers. thats about dead perfect for what you want at 80% duty cycle with an assumed BSFC of 0.5 or so. your dyno run will tell you more.

if your leaving the boost where it is then they are way overkill.

Yellowsplash

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
The BSFC can move from .5 to more towards .6 on forced induction (in this case s/c) applications. Can I ask what engine will be pushing this amount of power, a 4.0 SOHC? What fuel pump, fuel pressure, and target air/fuel ratio are you planning on running?
I assume you are running a SOHC that has a mechanical returnless fuel system with a base pressure of atleast 60 psi. I also assume a .6 BSFC, and 80% max duty cycle...a 42lbs/hr injector would be sized perfectly with some excess room for error (indicated lower fuel pressure, lower duty cycle, and higher BSFC).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals