• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 turbo engine swap, need help!!

85DANGERanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey guys, well recently i realized i needed to get more power from my 85' ranger. it has the 2.3 N/A in it right now and on a windy day in 5th gear it actually looses speed! so i just purchased a 2.3 turbo motor that came out of a 79' mustang pace car. im a big diesel and v-8 buff and dont know squat about 4 bangers. this is a carbed motor and im looking to do other mods before i rebuild and put in. what are my options for mods???

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Throw it away and get an EFI engine. The carbed engines with turbo's were nothing but headaches, and when they are running good(which was seldom), they are dogs. Spend your money on something else.:)shady

85DANGERanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thats the same answer im getting from everyone, i wish i would of did my research before i bought this motor. so is it possible to just use the block and make it fuel injected. and how hard would it be to run the wiring harness on my truck. my trucks a carbed truck. and selling and getting another truck is not an option. just wanna now if its possible.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
thats the same answer im getting from everyone, i wish i would of did my research before i bought this motor. so is it possible to just use the block and make it fuel injected. and how hard would it be to run the wiring harness on my truck. my trucks a carbed truck. and selling and getting another truck is not an option. just wanna now if its possible.
I have a mechanic here that races these 2.3l engines. His kid in highschool outran a couple of the v-8 guys with a pinto. Lookaround. Even if the engine is a pig, Im sure you can find someone who will help you mak the best of a bad investment. Otherwise---craigslist. Sell it.

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
so is it possible to just use the block and make it fuel injected..
It is possible, but not feasable. 2.3 blocks are a dime a dozen complete. You would have to change the wiring harness. EFI uses a different computer and harness, so that would have to be changed. Harnesses can be fairly easy, or a bitch depenging on how much you have to change. I have never done this particular exchange, but it looks fairly difficult. Might be wrong tho, it may be easy.

If you are still talking about using a turbo, the 79 block does not have forged pistons. It also doesn't have an oil drainback for the turbo. The turbo is on the pass side and yours is on the drivers side.:)shady

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
It is possible, but not feasable. 2.3 blocks are a dime a dozen complete. You would have to change the wiring harness. EFI uses a different computer and harness, so that would have to be changed. Harnesses can be fairly easy, or a bitch depenging on how much you have to change. I have never done this particular exchange, but it looks fairly difficult. Might be wrong tho, it may be easy.

If you are still talking about using a turbo, the 79 block does not have forged pistons. It also doesn't have an oil drainback for the turbo. The turbo is on the pass side and yours is on the drivers side.:)shady
If you check on 3.8mustang.com or v6power.net. One of those two sites have a vendor listed that does the premade conversion harnesses. BUt its not cheap.

85DANGERanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so ill have to tap the pass. side for the turbo oil drainback, utherwise it can be converted. i just cant seem to find a 83-88 turbo engine for sale anywhere.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
so ill have to tap the pass. side for the turbo oil drainback, utherwise it can be converted. i just cant seem to find a 83-88 turbo engine for sale anywhere.
What are you searching for? look up the Turbo charged thunderbird, I think maybe 83-86 were possible years. They came with the the turbo 2.3 also the SVO mustangs had 2.3l turbos and yes they will be hard to find. PATIENCE, itll come to you.

85DANGERanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ive search every inch of the net looking for parts or even a donor car, havent found a thing, least i got lucky enough to by a 2.3 turbo block. might cost some to convert it, and take a long while to get ahold of parts, but ill wait.

ejholmgren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Werd ... get an EFI 2.3T for $200 and save yourself some work.

85DANGERanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if it was easy enough to find a EFI 2.3 turbo id do it.

85DANGERanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i found a couple parts at a local junkyard off a 88' turbocoupe.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals