• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A note on electric turbochargers

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
Source: Hot Rod magazine
Author: Marlan Davis

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
proof that magazine editors dont know everything either, very nice.

most EV conversions use motors ranging around the 60HP continuos duty cycle department (meaning well over 100HP peak). obviously since people still ride in these cars, the motor isnt anywhere NEARLY as big as an entire vehicle (usually about 10" in diameter and a few feet long).

electric motors are not designed to be continuously run at their peak power (which is why they arent rated with the same system used by ICE's). however, the editors example of 61HP to create 15PSi of boost is only accurate when the engine is flowing its maximum CFM...I.E. WOT at its peak HP RPM. under most driving conditions, a motor controller could be used to reduce power to the motor, thus supplying fewer amps and still maintaining 15PSI most of the time...and only ramping up to full juice during the occasional WOT spurt. this type of useage would be perfectly acceptable for most electric motors (though, it does require the added complication of a motor controller).

however, expecting 15PSI out of an electric supercharger is silly and impracticle (for obvious reasons). i still stand by my claim that a low boost of under 5 PSI for a small displacement V6 or 4 cylinder would be easily achievable with an electric supercharger.

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
proof that magazine editors dont know everything either, very nice.

most EV conversions use motors ranging around the 60HP continuos duty cycle department (meaning well over 100HP peak). obviously since people still ride in these cars, the motor isnt anywhere NEARLY as big as an entire vehicle (usually about 10" in diameter and a few feet long).

electric motors are not designed to be continuously run at their peak power (which is why they arent rated with the same system used by ICE's). however, the editors example of 61HP to create 15PSi of boost is only accurate when the engine is flowing its maximum CFM...I.E. WOT at its peak HP RPM. under most driving conditions, a motor controller could be used to reduce power to the motor, thus supplying fewer amps and still maintaining 15PSI most of the time...and only ramping up to full juice during the occasional WOT spurt. this type of useage would be perfectly acceptable for most electric motors (though, it does require the added complication of a motor controller).

however, expecting 15PSI out of an electric supercharger is silly and impracticle (for obvious reasons). i still stand by my claim that a low boost of under 5 PSI for a small displacement V6 or 4 cylinder would be easily achievable with an electric supercharger.
He got this info from a Turbonetics engineer, Dave Austin; so if the author is wrong I blame it on mis-communication.

Yeah, I am not sure how they figure the motor would be bigger than the car; I've seen 500hp motors that still fit in engine bays. But then again they are only talking about 12V DC motors, and the one I saw was 230V AC.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
I think he was being a little sarcastic when he said the motor would be bigger than the vehicle itself...

That said, I agree with Sludge. An electric motor should be able to provide a small amount of boost.

Still, I think an electric forced inductor is one of the stupidest ideas around. The power gain will be minimal, for all the crap you put in the engine compartment and the extra tax on the batt and alt. Why not do some intake, head and exhaust work and get more power without all the stupid crap? Or spend the money on a real turbo or supercharger and do it right. But that's just my opinion...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals