• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

towing my trail rig jeep with my new fx4????

westfx4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i cant find any posts about flat towing other vehicles behind a 4.0 ranger, only posts of having the ranger towed behind something else. what would you guys say the maximum weight and/or size dimensional vehicle can be flat towed behind an 09' auto 4.0 fx4 ranger? thanks a lot!

Last edited:

KELLY88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 2005
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Wouldn't the owners manual mention weight limitations for your truck for both hauling and towing?

westfx4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
im sorry i didnt mention that because i dont have a trailer and i have manual hubs on the jeep, im going to flat tow the jeep. so, what are the limitations for flat towing vehicles for your ranger. another reason im asking is because i already lost my owners manual, got to go get another one.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
fords towing guide is listed on their fleet website, HERE.

flat towing is still towing, the weight rating is the maximum you can tow, regardless of it being flat or trailered. their towing guide shows an auto ranger to be rated at a max GCWR of 9,500lbs with a maximum frontal surface area of 50 sq-ft. a manual is rated at 7,000lbs GCWR with the same frontal surface area.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
In the real world you could flat tow considerably more then you could trailer tow. There is no weight on the truck, which then presents a seperate set of problems such as sway and braking.

Ive seen people pull a Chevy 3500 dually on a towbar behind a Nissan Hardbody...what do you think would happen to that truck if you pull the 1ton on a trailer?

I personally drug my 77 LTD II down the road with a strap between it and my 08 Colorado, what do you think would happen to the colorado with a trailer and that car behind it?

later,
Dustin

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
braking is by far the largest limiting factor when towing. if you have 3,000lbs behind your truck, your braking will be impacted the same wether its on a (properly set-up) trailer or on the ground.

dont exceed the GCWR. doing so is illegal and ill-advised.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It should be fine but make sure you have good brakes. I pulled a 77 CJ5 with my Ranger when it still have shitty FMC brake parts and they faded to nothing at the first sign of a downgrade. I drive trucks for a living too so I know how to properly take a downgrade while towing. I can take a 45k pound load through the Rockies but I can't tow a 3800 pound jeep down a small hill with factory brake parts. Just upgrade the brakes and slow down BEFORE any hills. Then pick a safe speed for the hill and maintain 5 mph below it. Say 45 is the safe speed. Slow the truck to 40 mph then let it run back to 45. Repeat slowing the truck. Use a low gear if you can.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
In the real world you could flat tow considerably more then you could trailer tow. There is no weight on the truck, which then presents a seperate set of problems such as sway and braking.

Ive seen people pull a Chevy 3500 dually on a towbar behind a Nissan Hardbody...what do you think would happen to that truck if you pull the 1ton on a trailer?

I personally drug my 77 LTD II down the road with a strap between it and my 08 Colorado, what do you think would happen to the colorado with a trailer and that car behind it?

later,
Dustin
With no trailer brakes or tongue weight it would be tougher to flat tow something long distance than on a trailer.

LEVE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I towed a SWB Caravan from St. Paul MN to River Falls WI (35 miles) in the dead of winter, once. It was the scariest tow I've ever done. The tail was wagging the dog. I would not even think of flat towing my CJ7 with my Ranger. I wouldn't hesitate using my PowerWagon.. but not the Ranger. It's not a power issue, it's a weight and wheelbase issue.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've done both. Flat towing isn't safe, period. I'm floored by the suggestion that it is. You haven't friggin done it if you think it's safe.

I bought my B2 a long time ago, I forget when, in Virginia Beach. I had a '91 Ranger, swb 4x4. 4.0 and 5-speed. I took a towbar with me. AFter I bolted the B2 to the towbar it started to rain. I was going about 3mph to keep from sliding. Then, I went through the first intersection and suddenly traffic in from of me stopped. The B2 didn't get the word and it jackknifed me in the center of the intersection. I waited embarrassed for the light. Then I was on my way up the onramp and traffic again stopped. And I jacknifed again. Then I was on the interstat and had no other issues.

Here's the main problem flat towing--the steering box doesn't like to be forced the wrong way. The tires have a 15-1 advantage against them and they aren't interested in turning when you are.

But I'm sure it's absolutely safe besides all of the hazards I've pointed out.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
ive flat towed on more than one occasion and i think it can be done safely. ive flat towed on icy highways in mid january a truck that weighted as much as mine that had poor front end alignment and i could still command authority over the towed vehicle. i even navigated a switch-back gravel driveway at the end of my journey with no troubles :dunno:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, you're a god.

I only suggest it for mortals in an emergency--or if the vehicle doing the towing is a lot heavier, particularly in the rear.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It's hard to say. I have never pushed the limits on a regular truck, but my rig is only 25k but it can safely pull 50k. Of course, the rear suspension is so stiff that it is almost undriveable bobtail so.......

jobar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Manual
I personally would suggest not to flat tow. Just my opinion, but I never liked the idea of not having control of the brakes of the vehicle behind me. On the other hand, with a trailer that has trailer brakes, you have somewhat of control behind you and not dead weight. Not to say you cant have ever have problems with trailers, but I would feel safer. If it were me.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
Well, you're a god.

I only suggest it for mortals in an emergency--or if the vehicle doing the towing is a lot heavier, particularly in the rear.
dont take it personally will, i was just adding my thoughts. nobody here is right or wrong.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals