• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

fuel injectors?

ncsdaonex

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylider
Transmission
Manual
if i turbo my 2.3L and use a garrett t3 turbo what size injectors and what size fuel pump should i get, and correct me if im wrong but any extra air forced in the intake from the turbo, the computer should tell the injectors to put more gas in the intake?

igiveup

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello

Does your 2.3 have mass air on it(MAF)? If yes then it would work. How well it will work I don't know. If your change to a bigger injector then you need a maf that is calibrated for those injectors and you will need to have your computer reflashed fuel curve. If you have a speed density computer then you will need to get it reflashed for the bigger injectors and turbo.

You could check out sites for turbo stangs and t-birds. Lots of info for you to read.

igiveup

Last edited:

ncsdaonex

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylider
Transmission
Manual
Hello

Does your 2.3 have mass air on it(MAF)? If yes then it would work. How well it will work I don't know. If your change to a bigger injector then you need a maf that is calibrated for those injectors and you will need to have your computer reflashed fuel curve. If you have a speed density computer then you will need to get it reflashed for the bigger injectors and turbo.

You could check out sites for turbo stangs and t-birds. Lots of info for you to read.

igiveup
it actually doesnt have a mass air flow sensor so would it just be easier to buy the manifold and put on a holley carb and get rid of the fuel injection?

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
How does it meter air then? I don't think Rangers came with speed density systems. If you want to put on bigger injectors, you'll have to drill out your air sampling tube (15 / 32, I believe) for 19 pound / hour injectors. Drive the thing for a few hundred km (while ignoring the horrible driveability and the "check engine" light. The factory computer WILL adapt--but not unless you change the air metering.

ncsdaonex

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylider
Transmission
Manual
How does it meter air then? I don't think Rangers came with speed density systems. If you want to put on bigger injectors, you'll have to drill out your air sampling tube (15 / 32, I believe) for 19 pound / hour injectors. Drive the thing for a few hundred km (while ignoring the horrible driveability and the "check engine" light. The factory computer WILL adapt--but not unless you change the air metering.
i dont know how it works but the only thing before the intake is two vacumm lines located on the air cleaner housing, my 1990 has a MAF but the 89 doesnt, like i said there are just two small hoses running in the side of the air cleaner housing

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Wow so much confusion going in this thread.

1st, some rangers, including the OP's 89, came with speed density EFI and therefore don't have MAF sensors.

2nd, stock speed density ain't gonna handle a turbo. No way, no how, just forget about it.

3rd, the stock 14 lb/hr fuel injectors will not support boost. The factory turbo cars ran 30-35 lb/hr injectors. These are what you need for boost.

4th, you can't run 30-35 lb/hr injectors with a ranger 2.3 computer (speed density or MAF). No way, now how, just forget about it. (Actually you could if there was a way to modify the internal code in the computer. But there isn't currently a way to do this).

5th, like it or not, the only real way to get the turbo charged engine to work right is by using the fuel injection system designed by Ford for the 2.3 turbo motor. You need to get the parts off a factory turbo car (thunderbird turbocoupe or merkur, etc).

6th, there is no practical way to reflash the early EEC-IV computers like the one in your 1989 ranger. Anything 95 and newer can be reflashed easily. Most 1993-1994s can be reflashed to some extent as well. Even a few popular high performance calibration computers like the 5.0 HO, the LA3 for the 88 turbocoupe, and a few other early EEC-IV computers can be re-calibrated. But the speed density 2.3 ranger computer from 1989 is definately not one with enough recalibration demand for anyone to bother deciphering the internal BIN files. Therefore all anyone could do with it is download the BIN file to a laptop and stare in confusion at the nonsense computer language.

In some applications where a MAF system is used and the fuel injectors have some spare capacity (such as in the 1991-1994 4.0L MAF systems with 19 lb/hr injectors) you can get by with a low amount of boost (up to 5 psi maybe) on the stock system without anything going too horribly wrong. But the 14 lb/hr injectors in the ranger 2.3 system just don't have any reserve capacity left.

Bottom line is that you need to take the advice of all the experienced 2.3 turbo people here and go get the complete computer, injectors, and VAM (vane air flow meter), system off a factory ford turbo car. This will be the simplest, cheapest, and best method of getting a 2.3 turbo to work in a ranger.

Last edited:

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Bottom line is that you need to get the complete computer, injectors, VAM (vane air flow meter), system off a factory ford turbo car. This will be the by the simplest, cheapest, and best method of getting a 2.3 turbo to work in a ranger.
Yep. Follow that Advice ^

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
more mis-conceptions:

you CAN modify the code in an EEC-IV computer if it has a J3 port. one way would be to have a doug at bamachips burn you a custom tune based on what specs your engine will run (what boost, what injecters, what fuel pressure, etc). the more expensive, but better to tune way would be to get a piggyback tuner like the twEECer.

you could also convert to a newer MAF system, and upgrade your injectors and MAF as a pair. this will allow you to use the stock tune (not ideal, but it'll work).

but for the work it takes to do any of that....its a lot easier to just swap in turbo coupe electronics.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Yes you can modify the code in any EEC-IV computer with a J3 port. But no one out there has ever deciphered the code for an old 2.3 ranger computer. The guys over at www.turboford.net have been working at breaking down the BIN for the D1L1 (the N/A 2.3 with DIS and MAF) calibration in the 91-93 mustang, but that's the only N/A 2.3 EEC-IV computer so far that has any re-calibration support.

So even though you could hook his computer up through the J3 port, there's no support for it's BIN file, which is going to make recalibrating it nearly impossible.

And please show me where twEECer says that they support the N/A ranger 2.3 EEC-IV computers. Because they don't. The closest they come is the 93-94 4.0L I think.

Last edited:

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You WILL have to swap out your computer somehow, unless you do the "low boost" MAF mod with an MAF EEC-IV system. (George, who used to belong to this forum, walked me through it.) The mod will work for a turbo, but didn't work for me because my throttle body has to be UPSTREAM of my blower.

I dumped the factory computer because I couldn't get it to work properly. Take the advice of experienced people and don't try to find a cheap and nebulous solution.

Last edited:

Bill G

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 2.8
Transmission
Manual
You WILL have to swap out your computer somehow, unless you do the "low boost" MAF mod with an MAF EEC-IV system. (George, who used to belong to this forum, walked me through it.) The mod will work for a turbo, but didn't work for me because my throttle body has to be UPSTREAM of my blower.

I dumped the factory computer because I couldn't get it to work properly. Take the advice of experienced people and don't try to find a cheap and nebulous solution.
I sure wish George was still around. It was amazing what the guy knew and could fabricate. I remember that he had walked you through the MAF mod. And I think Illegalconcepts also has done one. I'm in the process of writing a FAQ for turbo swaps. We seem to get the same questions asked over and over. Any chance you still have some pictures and info you would be willing to share for converting to 19lbs injectors?

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I sure wish George was still around. It was amazing what the guy knew and could fabricate. I remember that he had walked you through the MAF mod. And I think Illegalconcepts also has done one. I'm in the process of writing a FAQ for turbo swaps. We seem to get the same questions asked over and over. Any chance you still have some pictures and info you would be willing to share for converting to 19lbs injectors?
Go to my Ranger website. It hasn't been updated in a LONG time, but the basic info is there:

http://members.shaw.ca/rabello/p19.htm

Last edited:

ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Modified
Transmission
Manual
Yes, I upgraded to 19lbs injectors and modded my MAF. I had 0 computer issues at any point. I disconnected my battery while doing the work, when I was done I went for a drive. The truck idled the same and ran exactly the same. Dave R and I installed the P&P head he did(Dave) and had NO issues. The next step for me is to get back on track with the custom intake manifold and then install the pistons. I will also be installing a new fuel pump that is the suggested upgrade. I remember george running w/o issue using the stock computer too, he was very confident in its ability to adjust. He was pushing 15lbsf boost if I remember right.

James

Bill G

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 2.8
Transmission
Manual
george Feb 28 2006, 01:06 AM TRS.com the old verison
I have my boost set, low boost 8#, high boost 15#. my plugs are gapped at .030. the 92 2.3 is EEC IV 8 plug.

8 plug head started around 89 i think. i have been running mine for 3 years now. i use a IHI turbo, front mount IC. intake, head and exh. manf. have all been P&P. using a very modfied 5.0L HO MAF with 2.3 sensor in it.

I like to tinker
Here is what george was running. I have some pictures he sent me of his swap. Not really pretty but worked very well. I know the truck was his daily driver.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals