• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

171 V6 2.8LT 2BBL carburetor problem

scott piller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I need to know if there are different carbs that will fit this engine. When I bought the car, the carb was missing, I can find them on ebay for $300.00 and up. Thats a little more than I wanted to pay, and way more than my wife will let me pay. Please help

Jorley

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 duraspark
Transmission
Manual
Try a junkyard. A Motorcraft 2100/2150 carb will work. The stock carb on mine was a 2150 feedback carb and was 287 cfm. I've done the duraspark conversion, so have replaced the feedback carb with a non-feedback one. A Holley will also work. Most likeky any 2bbl will work as long as the cfm is the same or greater, but not too much greater.

A carb you get from a junkyard will most likely need to be rebuilt. To determine the cfm of the 2100/2150 carb, look on the bowl behind the accelerator pump rod and there is a number in a circle. The number tells the cfm.

98=190
1.01=240
1.02=245
1.08=287
1.14=300
1.21=351
1.23=356
1.33=424

The left is the number in the circle and the right is the cfm.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
Rebuilt holly motorcraft from napa-$254.00 ready to go,part#hol645242,and if you have a problem you can carry it back.

I no longer recommend the holley 350 cfm,after numerous attempts at rejetting,gas mileage sucks,performance is there,but mileage sucks!

Auto zone,advance and others have similar prices on the 2150 non feedback carb,slightly more if you don't have a core exchange.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
with your non feedback It shouldn't be that hard to find one they are very common, find them on 4 cyl to v8s in junk yards just match up the one that looks the closest or maching numbers from the tags, or purchase a rebuild kit and rebuild it yourself.

or if it would work you could jump up to an FI system off of a rwd car with a 3.8L v6, thats what I'm doing...

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
Before you get the carb you need to find the jar your wife put your balls in

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Before you buy any carb, be sure that it can be used properly. If you need factory smog, you need the feedback carb and the goodies hanging off of it. If you have, or can use, DuraSpark; then you don't want the feedback carb.
Jorley gave the best answer so far with the CFM ratings.

Eric Kropp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As always, I think a carb from National Carburetor Rebuilders is a good option for $185.00 and a lifetime warranty. Looks and performs like a new carb.

Eric

NixRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
who else makes
Engine Size
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
Eric;

National Carburetor Rebuilders - I found a "National Carburetors" online, is that the same outfit you mentioned?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals