• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Aftermarket steel frame cab brackets

TrexMex

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
So I stumped into these frame brackets on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26satitle%3D290165176922%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1&item=290165176922

My rear of cab frame brackets have been pretty much eaten away by rust and right now the cab sits 1" higher on the driver's side since the passenger's side bracket has already failed, so I decided to give them a shot. If you take a look at the pic the corners where the bends meet seem like they are welded; well, they're not. I was wondering if they should since my understanding is that that would actually put that bend to "work" under stress with the rest of the structure and not just take all the load by itself... I can do the weld myself, I just don't want to mess up the design if it is supposed to be like this...

Hope someone can help me...

hitech_hick

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
From the pic, they don't look that beefy, you could probably make a better set yourself cheaper. If you already have them, yes, I would weld the seams together.

hick

TrexMex

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the advice, I already have them. The plate looks like the same grade the originals were made of, I guess the "beefier" part comes on the bigger support. I would've made the top smaller though to transfer more of the weight to the support. I was thinking on replacing the rivets with grade 8 stainless bolts, but still haven't decided. Any idea on the torque that I should apply to the bolts?

Thanks again for the advice.

BTW, I meant the rivets that attach the bracket to the beam.

Last edited:

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
umm... stainless and grade 8 are not one in the same. its one or the other. you will want grade 8 half inch bolts.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
umm... stainless and grade 8 are not one in the same. its one or the other. you will want grade 8 half inch bolts.
What do you think the holding strength of the factory-installed rivet is? I hardly think it matters between Gr. 5 and Gr. 8 for a body mount bolt. If it were me, I'd probably weld it on.

thomasakehoe

Banned
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just a quick 2 questions about body mount brackets... sorry I'm new here. First is I've been looking for replacement body mount brackets for the cab of my 92 Ranger Extended Cab online and the few sites that I have seen say that the rear cab mount they offer won't fit the Super (extended cab trucks) Why is this? And where can I get new brackets? Is there anyone else after market etc.... Selling them? Thanks for any help folks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals