• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New Intercooler Tubing

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
There are a couple of new features in these photos. I've replaced the supercharger outlet with a custom CNC design that Dave R did for me. Additionally, I've gone from 2" crush bent tubing to 2.5 inch mandrel bent tubing. This is my initial mock-up. I've got to go down to Lordco and pick up some new clamps, as all the ones I have are too small!

I still have a few things that need taking care of, but I expect I'll have the truck up and running again shortly.

robert

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
somehow...i had no idea you were running a s/c 2.3 :D

very nice work. thats one of the cleaner installs ive seen.

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
somehow...i had no idea you were running a s/c 2.3 :D

very nice work. thats one of the cleaner installs ive seen.

It's been an "off and on" project. (That's one of the nice things about a blower. I CAN pull it off if I need to!) It's been down for a week now while I've been doing the update, and my sweetheart isn't happy because I have to cart everyone around in the car until the truck is running again . . .

Thanks for the kudos!

92dangerranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
That 2.5 inch pipe should really let the air flow! Looks good. :icon_thumby:

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
I love my 2.5" mandrel bend pipe. Pushing 16 psi through this thing really makes it move!

That is a sort of old picture. I've cleaned it up some since then. I got different radiator hoses, cleaned up wiring, etc...

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
That 2.5 inch pipe should really let the air flow! Looks good. :icon_thumby:
It should run a little cooler, too. Let's just hope it doesn't LEAK! There are some potential issues here. The first is that all of this BARELY fits under the hood. The blower intake is VERY close to the modified heater fan. The large intercooler tubing comes exceedingly close to rubbing against the radiator bulkhead, which I'd previously cut to fit the smaller tubing. Also, the pipe that crosses the engine bay lays right on top of the bypass valve. If the bypass valve binds against the tubing, it either won't open, or shut. Also, the Mustang throttle body has no provision for the PCV tube. That's a problem I still have to solve . . .

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I love my 2.5" mandrel bend pipe. Pushing 16 psi through this thing really makes it move!

That is a sort of old picture. I've cleaned it up some since then. I got different radiator hoses, cleaned up wiring, etc...
Yeah, but that looks beautiful! (Gotta love that mandrel bent stuff! How do you keep it clean?) 16 psi, huh? Dave R used to say that life begins at 15 psi . . .

I know people laugh at me for my "low boost application," but it's enough for me. I'm too old to drive fast.

Last edited:

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, but that looks beautiful! (Gotta love that mandrel bent stuff! How do you keep it clean?) 16 psi, huh? Dave R used to say that life begins at 15 psi . . .

I know people laugh at me for my "low boost application," but it's enough for me. I'm too old to drive fast.
I just use regular aluminum wheel polish on it whenever I want it to look nice. And yes, 16 is a real hoot! It works great for passing on a 2 lane highway. Nothing like blowing past 10 cars at once because the guy in front is doing 50 in a 55 and 9 guys behind him are too scared or lazy to pass. You get funny looks when a 18 year old 4-banger ranger goes screaming by at 100+.

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The left-hand tube of mine will be covered by reflectix insulation because the blower generates so much heat I don't want the post-intercooler tubing to pick any of it up. This isn't so much a problem with a turbo because of the greater efficiency.

As for blowing past traffic, I'm usually the one whom everyone is passing . . . At peak prices, I was paying about $1.60 per liter for fuel and it makes no sense to drive fast under those conditions. I need the blower for hill climbing and carrying loads in the back. But then, I haven't been 18 for a VERY long time!

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey man, it's great to see you back around and that setup looks beautiful. Dave does some great work and that just makes everything so much neater under there. Now that I have the front axle in my truck I can start looking towards the engine come this spring.

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hey man, it's great to see you back around and that setup looks beautiful. Dave does some great work and that just makes everything so much neater under there. Now that I have the front axle in my truck I can start looking towards the engine come this spring.
I haven't had much to report lately, which is why I haven't been here. This morning I pulled out my old throttle cable and put in the new one. (Now the original throttle body is nothing more than an adaptor!) I can't get it to snap into the firewall though, and THAT'S vexing!

I'm also going to have to do PWM idle, as there is no bleed hole nor idle adjusting screw on the big Mustang throttle body I'm using.

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Great! Now my hood won't close! (Bad words . . . bad words . . . bad words . . . ) It looks like I'll have to grind down my LH hood hinge.

My poor truck!

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Oh man, well hopefully it will run like a bat out of hell once you get the hood down hehehe.

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Oh man, well hopefully it will run like a bat out of hell once you get the hood down hehehe.
Perhaps . . . I wonder how much of that hinge I can grind away before it gives me trouble!

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just remove the hinges and install 4 hood pins...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals