• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Possibly dropping 3" body lift, help needed

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
I am looking to cut my body lift in half to 1.5"s. Currently, my intake tube won't clear my fan. I am running 36" tires and have 11''s from the top of my tires in the front to the fender.

Picture of current clearance. I am a bit worried about the rear tire clearance after drop with extended wheelbase. I may only be able to drop 1" before my Efan is too close to the water pump pulley. Any opinions would be much appreciated.

anyone cut there body lift in half? I have a slip shaft ujoint shaft that will be going in for my steering shaft.

Last edited:

grey ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
that's one sweet looking b2 do you have any more pics?

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Is the intake tube the only reason you need to cut the body lift?

If it is, then why don't you just modify the intake tube to clear the fan?
That's what I'd do.

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
There is no way currently to get it to clear and not look like crap. I also wouldn't mind having it dropped just a hair. 3" body lift is a bit much for me anyways. Looks funny and puts a lot of stress on the body bolts. I think I'm gonna go for it and cut them in half.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Do it. Mine is a 1.25"

Are you running the explorer Auto (thick) rad? I found I couldn't use it with the E-fan. I ended up going back with a Manual (Thin) rad and have not had any issues with cooling.

Look for a B2 Auto rad. They are thin and have the side tanks for the trans cooler. Or just run a large external cooler.

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
Yes, running the explorer auto radiator. My taurus fan fits but is tight as I had to trim the shroud down just a tad. Remolded it with some heat. When I pull the body loose I'm going to shove it forward just a tad, maybe 1/8" more just to give me a little more clearance. I Currently have two external factory coolers and the radiator cooler. I'd like to swap to the large B&M at one point but the factory ones fit nicer.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You might end up having to cit the fan out of the plastic shroud and make a new aluminum one. I've seen it done I just don't remember where I saw the pictures.

Moving the rad forward some will help but not enough. The rad needs to move forward more than 1/8" a good 1/2-3/4" would be better.

Sloue mounded up a pretty sick oil cooler for his V8 swap. Looks like it fits good.

Just ditch the auto Andrew and run a manual. they you don't have to worry about that stinken cooler. I've run the thin manual rad ever since I had the truck running and it's been fine. I run about 180-200° during the summer with the e-fan on low. That's in bumper to bumper traffic. This with the thin manual rad. I've looked around on RPS and that is about the normal opperating temp for the 4.0L.

Last edited:

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
I'm not a big manual fan for offroading. I do enjoy shifting a manual every day though. A4LD will stay. Right now, I have proper clearance from the fan. I need to measure and see how much I will have when I drop though. I could cut down the spacers on the factory shroud and move the fan closer to the radiator. What is an acceptable distance to keep from the fins? I only have maybe 3/16" from the fins currently, maybe 1/4".

Oh yeah, when I say that the fan is close, I mean the actually motor to the pulley not the shroud. The shroud is just in the way for the intake.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals