• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Attention!!!!

Fast Fords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.1L
Transmission
Automatic
Finally found a 2.3T motor..1987 Merkur XR4Ti with 207,000 kms on original motor..auto tranny..will this engine and harness work? person wants $500 for the whole car...

PLEASE ADVISE as i don't think i will find anything else like this in my area for a bit

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
Finally found a 2.3T motor..1987 Merkur XR4Ti with 207,000 kms on original motor..auto tranny..will this engine and harness work? person wants $500 for the whole car...

PLEASE ADVISE as i don't think i will find anything else like this in my area for a bit
Ummm .... nope won't work. Give the guy my phone number LOL. Kidding aside it will work great. Just get a computer from a car that has a manual trans. That pcm can be easily sold on ebay.

92dangerranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
Should work just fine! Good find!

Fast Fords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.1L
Transmission
Automatic
haha thanks guys for the advise..i did a little research on the Merkur's turbo setup with the auto tranny..it is smaller but i am not gonna be a hard core racer with this thing..just enough to have a little more juice..i think i am gonna do it!! thanks again!!

:yahoo:

now to the garage :icon_welder:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
your going to use the auto trans? you know that 2.3 turbo motor will bolt to the stock trans thats already in your truck...

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
I think he means that the turbo used on the auto merkurs was smaller than the turbo used on the manual merkurs. He is right, the manual merkurs came with a 0.61 A/R hot side T3 while the autos got a 0.48 A/R hot side T3. Both of these turbos are larger than the IHI turbo that came on the 87-88 turbocoupe.

The 0.48 T3 is plenty of turbo up to about 300 hp. I am running the 0.48 T3 on my engine (about 270 hp) with the ranger M5OD. It'll spool at about 2500 rpm (vs. about 3300 for rpm the 0.61 A/R model) so it's nicer to have in a truck. Even with the smaller A/R, it still breathes fine at 16 PSI and 5500 rpm.

That setup will work great for you. Do use the ranger's tranny though, it's much stronger than an A4LD. Also you can use the auto computer with a manual tranny. The only difference is that your idle will be about 1100 with the clutch out and 700 with the clutch in. (The clutch switch on a manual is connected to the same pin on the computer as the transmission range sensor on an auto, so the auto computer thinks you're shifting into drive when you let the clutch out, and speeds up the idle to account for the additional load that the torque converter would put on the engine as an auto tranny was put into drive. Since there's a manual transmission and no load is put on the engine when you let the clutch out in neutral, the idle speeds up about 400 rpms)

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
ahh your right...i should have read slower :sad:

is there any reason a guy couldnt jump the pins on the clutch interlock to make the PCM think the clutch was in all the time (aside from not being protected from starting in gear)? that way the idle would be consistant...

Fast Fords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.1L
Transmission
Automatic
haha ya i am definately going to use my manual tranny. no way am i gonna stick a turbo engine in my truck and not have it stick..there goes the fun!! if i was gonna turn this beast into a drag truck, i'd get an auto but it sure as hell wouldn't be the ranger or merkur auto thats for sure :icon_rofl:

i am pretty damn excited about this! i have been reading up on all the stuff on this site and i was thinking; there prolly isn't a better site with more information an such a WIDE variety of stuff. I am so glad i found this site and joined!! its got everything from lowering to raising to gear ratios to body work! i would NEVER have learnt as much as i have if it wasn't for this site...i recommend to ANYONE who has questions about rangers to check this site and join..and for all who contribute in posts to answer questions, you guys are what makes this site pretty much!! just a long way of saying thanks i guess haha!! i know i'm gonna have questions about the swap but i know i can count on the info on here!

:icon_hornsup:

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Is there any reason a guy couldnt jump the pins on the clutch interlock to make the PCM think the clutch was in all the time (aside from not being protected from starting in gear)? that way the idle would be consistant...
I tried to do that one day and I made it so that it would start with the clutch out but the idle still moved with the clutch. I've meant to try again and find the right wire (there's about 6 I think) that the computer is reading but I've been too lazy (read "completely overwhelmed with the last semester of engineering school and working 20 hours/week") to get around to it.

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
Have you bought that Merk yet?

Fast Fords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.1L
Transmission
Automatic
haven't got a hold of him yet..i sent him an email yesterday and i haven't got a response yet..he left his number so i am gonna call him tomorrow possibly...i SOOOOO want it though :bawling: i hope i get it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals