• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

new, and pissed

CRAZ28

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hi everyone, I'm new to the board. I just bought a '84 Ranger and everything went to hell immediately. Since I bought 3 weeks ago, I have rebuilt the rear wheel bearings, new rear pumpkin gasket, total transmission rebuild, and I am sending in my carb to be remanufactured. I hope this all works out cause i love my little Ranger, but dont hav the cash for this. Anyone have any advice, or list of common issues with the 2.8

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/2_8L_Performance.html

I would be shopping for a different carb rather than rebuilding the stock one, and saving my pennies for a Duraspark ignition...

The stock feedback carburator and ignition system is a mess, but is pretty easy to fix (replace with something better)

There is a link to the duraspark swap down towards the bottom of the attached page.

85general

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 V6 durasparked holley 350
Transmission
Manual
do the duraspark dont rebuild yur stock anything

igiveup

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello

I durasparked my B2 and its the best thing that ever happen to that motor. Trust me and get it done. You wont be sorry. Your 84 is a lot easier then my 85 was. Read the tech pages on it and you will be good to go.

igiveup

CRAZ28

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Is it possible to do the DuraSpark conversion if my truck is equipped with California emissions? Thanks

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
Is it possible to do the DuraSpark conversion if my truck is equipped with California emissions? Thanks
Hell yes!

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
To be clear here: If you need to pass smog, check with your local Motor Vehicle Department first. In California we must retain all original equipment. (I had to go to a special station because I spliced some wires and they called that "tampering" even though it passed the test. I call it being jerks, they call it thorough) When all the original stuff is working, everything is great; when it isn't everything is a pain. Getting all the stock stuff can be expensive, too.
SO: If you can DursSpark it, DO IT. I've run them on other cars for years with only one failure of the 'box'. We used to do a DuraSparks on old points v-8's all the time and it was the only way to go. I've also had good success with junk yard parts. You may have trouble finding the distributor but if you want to save cash, try.

On the carb - check the recent posts including the ones about the metering block on a stock carb if you're short of cash because it sounds like you already have been spending some bucks.

I bought my first 85 to be used just now and then around the city; I started driving it as my main transportation because it's a great little truck; you may grow to like yours too - when it runs right.

Last edited:

CRAZ28

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for all the help boys, I hav ordered all the parts, including the Holley carb:secret:. and I'll let you know how it goes once i get started. O and my transmission just went out to the shop, and the transfer case is sitting in my garage winters comin :annoyed:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Is there any better step by step write up, with pictures, for the duraspark conversion than the brief one on http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...Duraspark.html
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/2_8Duraspark.html

Dunno if that is the one you are refering to but it is the three of the ones I had to go by a year ago combined.

I reused the stock coil, it saved a large amount of the wiring hassle, and I don't see how either the distributer or coil would know that they are not hooked up to what they were originally. As I remember all you have to do is hook up the green tach wire from the coil to the duraspark box and that is all there is, disreguard everything about the resister and start-bypass.

I got the box, harness that connects the distributor and Duraspark box, and the second plug with the red and white whires for the Duraspark box used from junked vehicles/engines.

1 year and everything still works perfect.

Capt Jay

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93 body.
Make / Model
Ford(ish)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The things to look out for is the 2.8 can warp heads, so be careful not to overheat. The valves aren't hydraulic. They have to be manually adjusted. Not a problem to do. Buy a manual and follow instructions. Takes a little time but it quiets the engine down considerably. I enjoyed mine for a few years until I hit a bump and a v-8 fell in.

Eric Kropp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
All of the above is true. If I could I would go with some other carb and ingition. But...I am in California, and as Engine Paul said, they are a bunch of doo doo heads out here. Looks like you are not from CA so life should be good. The cool thing about the 2.8's are the solid lifters and timing gears. Seem to make the engine last forever. Mine has 324,000 miles and no rebuild in sight. Doesn't use oil between 2000 mile changes. My Ranger is 98% stock, only a lift kit and different wheels and tires from the previous owner 18 years ago.....

Eric<><

CRAZ28

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds good. all the parts just arrived, the project starts soon

CRAZ28

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well, everything is done and easier than I thought.:yahoo: I am just waiting for my tranny to get back from the shop so I can fire her up

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals