• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

welded tow hooks

rangerrager

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
hey
i was wondering if its ok to weld tow hooks to the front of my fframe.becasue there is now way to bolt them due the fact that the frame in the front is a box.
thanks
ryan

hitech_hick

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I wouldn't do it, the frame is too thin, and even if your welds are perfect, the tow hooks will tear out of the frame. I would recommend tow hooks be mounted to a minimum 1/4" thick metal, with 3/8th's being optimal. Here is what I did to mount tow hooks to the front of my '94. While the tow hooks are integrated into a winch bumper, you could easily make the brackets as stand alone to work with the factory bumper. I would cut it out of 3/8th plate, and mount them with at least 3 bolts for each bracket.

For additional reinforcement, I welded on an additional piece of 3/8th plate where the hooks mount. It is a little overkill, but you get the point. Last winter there was a semi (empty trailer, day cab) stuck in our sloped dock at work. The tow hooks held up fine for pulling him out (the driver even had his wheels turned the wrong direction and I was still pulling him). Man I wish I had a video of that.

hick

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals