• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.8 differences?

awful knoffel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi, Just joined although I'm really not new here, been lurking and checking out the board for quite awhile. Anyway, my question is-will a late 70's 2.8 swap in my 85 Ranger? I know the dipstick is in a different place and the cam core is smaller, but are there any other issues to deal with? Thanks everyone and keep up the good work on the boards.

BobR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ferd
Transmission
Manual
easy swap.

all the bolt patterns line up accept keep timing cover with its water pump (these can be swapped as a set to any year) there are some more machined surfaces inside that vary a little.

Bob

awful knoffel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the quick reply and the info!

awful knoffel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Another question-What's the best way to deal with the dipstick issue? I've got a chance to pickup an early style fresh shortblock cheap

BobR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ferd
Transmission
Manual
use the one that came with the block and pickupe tube. thats the easiest way.

Bob

awful knoffel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I understand the pickup tube part but for the dipstick the ranger is a rear sump and isn't the early block dipstick hole designed for a front sump?

BobR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ferd
Transmission
Manual
I tried to keep it brief in my previous post and bungled a little.

by keeping the pickup/pan/stick you know it will keep things right.
when I first got it (B2 with 74 block) it had a center sump that drained directly on the frame. what a mess.
and the dipstick was broken though the finger portion was still there.

I got a B2 dipstick from ford and a pan from a bone yard. wound up bending the pickup to match the pan using playdough on the pickup screen and assembling it to guage clearance and deliberately overfilling it with oil and driving off the excess. then tossing tha air filter and scratching the dipstick at that fill level and calling that the full line.

my '74 block (I dont know if its maveric mustang or capri) has a rear dipstick. it was not untill I was rebuilding my engine 2 years later that I realized the origin of my PIA. if I had known earlier I believe it would have heen much easier the easier aproach is if it works leave it.

Bob

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
These engines were used in the Capri, Capri II, Pinto and Mustang II. They weren't used in the Maveric.

Front vs rear sump is an application issue. The Pinto had a front sump. Since the Mustang II is basically the same as a Pinto, I'm assuming it had a front sump also, but I don't know for sure. The Capri and Capri II had a rear sump. I placed a 2.8 from a 1975 Pinto and put it in a 1973 Capri years ago. I used the oil pan from the original 2.6L V6 and put it on the 2.8. I think the front sump versions had a feeder tube leading to the oil sump, if I remember correctly.

I was able to move the dipstick from the front to the rear, since the 2.8 was made for both front and rear sump applications.

awful knoffel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well, finally got a hold of the shortblock and the dipstick turns out to be a non issue. Like Bills post, it has two dipstick holes. All I need to do is stab it in the right hole and plug the other. My 85 Ranger will live on! Thanks again to everybody for the replies and info.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals