• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Can someone explain this to me....

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Towing with my F-250. This past week I was using my truck to tow some RV's for my employer. I have been keeping tabs on my gas mileage for the last 9 months. I have a spread sheet with, date, gallons, miles to fillup, price, etc and it tells me my average MPG per tank.

So I towed two trailers. One was a 26' which was about 6,000lbs. It was 33 miles one way, and on the way back I was not towing. It was mainly interstate, but there were some stop and go spots too.

The second trailer was 32' and I would guess about 8-9000lbs. It was the same 33 miles.

Anyway, When I filled up and averaged my mileage I got 13.94 mpg. I normally get between 11.5-13 without towing. I almost got 14mpg with a WHOLE lot more weight. How is that even possible? I was practically flooring it up entrance ramps and only hitting 35 at the tops. All in all the truck was bustin it's ass getting these things moving and it gets better MPG's than when not towing at all.

Im stumped

2002 F-250
5.4L Triton 2V
4R100 Automatic with 3.73 gears.

Could it be that when in OD the motor is lugging and that by keeping it revved like I had to a lot of the time, it was burning cleaner??:icon_confused:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
does that 11-13 figure include daily commuting, errand running, and grocery getting type driving? making lots of starts and stops during a tank can dramatically lower your mileage. its possible that since you were on the highway for most of this tank, all you saw was highway mileage (even though you were towing).

that combined with the tranny staying out of OD (keeping the engine in its powerband) may have added up to higher mileage.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
If you were towing with OD "Locked out" then it indicates that you
probably have gears in your F-250 that are simply too tall.

I've recommended that to people when they were debating a gear swap.
Try driving the truck for a week without using overdrive.

IF you get better mileage do the gear swap without delay:)

AD

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Allan, to be honest I left it in OD, and it only popped out once or twice when trying to accelerate on the highway.

It did however rev a lot higher and longer than it usually does in each gear getting the load moving.

The truck has 3.73 gears. I wish it had 4.10's.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm yet to see a truck get better mileage when towing. It defys reason so I would suggest a problem in the test.

The shortness of the trip probably has a lot to do with it. You're only burning off 3 gallons so a difference in when the pump pops off would be small and make a huge difference in calculation. Pull one of those trailers for a whole tank and you'll get what you expect.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals