• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

what RPM is to much?

roughranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
my trans is shifting at 4000 RPM is it this to high for one of these motors? it is a rough/tough truck so it will be in 4 low mostly but dont want to pop a motor! thanks rough

4byRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0 turbo
Transmission
Manual
what motor does your ranger have? 3.0, 4.0, 2.3?

my 95 has a 3.0, i know these engines love high rpms. when im mobbin in town i try and keep the rpms at 2,800 to 4,500. sometimes i hit the rev limiter which would be a little higher than 5,000 when im tryin pass or just go fast.. :shout: <- me yelling GO!!!!!! and shaking the wheel when the rpms are too low

roughranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2.8 sorry i didnt say that b4! It is carbed with points ~ rough

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Roughrider does it wait till 4000 to shift or is that when it shifts with the skinny pedal on the floor? If it will NEVER shift till 4000 that is bad.. But if it shifts at 4000 with the pedal at full throttle that is too low!
Big JIm

roughranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i can be running it half throttle and it wont shift so i have just been winding it out to the 4000 and then letting off a little for it to shift. i havent tryed to shift it manually from 2 nd to drive to overdrive i might try tthat and see if it is just somethin with the kick down. any help is MUCH appreciated guys i am planning on running this thing on tuesday. rough

4byRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0 turbo
Transmission
Manual
i sorta had the same problem i guess, i switched out my tcase with an older one. the speedo was not working and the shift points were way tooo high, i had to use my old speedo gear out of the old tcase to correct this..

if its an aod tranny i could see that having somehtin to do with it..

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Rough rider sounds like a "detent rod" needs some adjustment.. In most modern vehicles that rod is now a cable .. If when opening the throttle the cable gets SHORTER then you need to make it longer from idle up.. If it gets LONGER then the opposite is true..
These detent cables/rods have control over when a tranny shifts..
It will be the OTHER cable from the throttle.
Big JIm

4byRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0 turbo
Transmission
Manual
OH SHIT i totally forgot.. check your throttle cable by the pedal, if it has alot of slack or if your gas pedal looks way lower than your brake. (pushed in more) theres a section in the tech library that shows you wht to do..

i just used small zip ties and put em between the top of the spring and the cable end itself.. worked wonders, now i dont have to push the pedal the way down or thats what it seemed like.. helped with my overall shift points to, wayy more controlable

hope this helps

small ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
171 c.i. of fury
Transmission
Manual
These motors can do 7000rpm before floating the valves, under load I have heard guys doing 7500rpm, so 4000rpm may be a little high for shifting but with a stock cam max torque is 2800rpm. My motor does 2700rpm @ 60mph. Take it for what its worth

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals