• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Carb leaking gas?

Rammunition360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
im new to carbs...im 20 and this is my 1st carbed behicle besides chevy TBI which i guess doesnt count...but i am leaking raw fuel from the front of the carburetor and its not coming from the fuel filter...i had one unplugged hose so i ran it to the nearest hose plug and it wasnt even leaking from that...maybe a gasket???

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Try drying it up real good and then starting it and watching to see where the wet spot starts.. Gently tightning the screws on the gaskets usually stops any leakage from them...BUT there shouldn't be fuel on the gaskets unless the vehicle is on a rough surface and the fuel is sloshing around..
Big JIm

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If not the gasket, it could be the float is set too high or is leaking and allowing too much fuel into the bowl.

Rammunition360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
do i have to take off the carb to investigate this? because i will need to know the info on that then haha...i dont want to mess up any choke or throttle things

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ramm Since you ask such a question... I would advise you to seek professional help.. Or at least a friend that knew something about carbs..
The most that I think YOU should do is to take the air cleaner off and try to gently tighten the screws where the gasket is.. Outside of that you might need a friend that has taken a carb apart before to assist in the endevor..
Big Jim

Capt Jay

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93 body.
Make / Model
Ford(ish)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Odds are it's the accelerator pump. It's simple to put in another one. It's right on the front of the carb. 4 screws and your done. They go bad. It's fairly common and cheap to fix.

Rammunition360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
cool i was going to buy a new one there is a guy that sells them for $75...and i know enough to take it off i just dont want to mess up any linkage if there are any tricks to it...but ill remove it today and tighten it to the gasket

Capt Jay

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93 body.
Make / Model
Ford(ish)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
cool i was going to buy a new one there is a guy that sells them for $75...and i know enough to take it off i just dont want to mess up any linkage if there are any tricks to it...but ill remove it today and tighten it to the gasket
Your thinking about something different. The accelerator pump is just a diaphragm on the front of the carb. It's about a ten dollar part and takes 15 mins. to change.

It's easy to figure out if it's the accelerator pump. Just manually advance the throttle on the side of the carb. and if fuel comes out of the accelerator pump ( the front of the carb ), it's bad.

You might want to ask someone who's a little more familiar with carburetors to help out a little.

Any questions just post or pm. Good luck.

Rammunition360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
oh ok so it attaches "to" the carb...i was referring to removing the carb and rebuilding haha ill go try that accelerator pump

Rammunition360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ok it only leaks out when the engine is running and it is leaking from the peice on the front attached to the throttle cable

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
ok it only leaks out when the engine is running and it is leaking from the peice on the front attached to the throttle cable
4 phillip head srews?

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
so just tighten it down?
go to the parts store for a accelerator pump.i bought one two years ago for $12.when you see the part it will make sense.

take your time,pull the screws out,carefully remove the cover,there is a spring in there.then change the old diaphram for the new one.easy.

Rammunition360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
yeah i already priced it at $11.99, its 4 small bolts (bottom 2 kinda tricky to get to) then exchange for new one...gotcha, and thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals