• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

couple of issues...

Teoma

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I recently inherited my son's project 83 ranger and his parts truck, a 84 bronco II. The thing is that the bronco was in better shape then the ranger so I resurrected it first. Now the problem that I am having is that the engine was rattling so I pulled the rocker covers and tried adjusting the valves. No 4 cylinder was already tightened down to it's max on the intake and exhaust so I am left looking for a new cam and lifters.
The local lordco store wants stupid money for the parts so I was hoping you guys might know where to get something cheaper because I don't want to have to start cannabalizing the ranger for parts.

Second question...my son installed an offenhauser 4 bll intake on the ranger and it runs fine but the distributor that he installed is an old points one. Does anyone know if a duraspark distributor will fit with this intake?

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
I recently inherited my son's project 83 ranger and his parts truck, a 84 bronco II. The thing is that the bronco was in better shape then the ranger so I resurrected it first. Now the problem that I am having is that the engine was rattling so I pulled the rocker covers and tried adjusting the valves. No 4 cylinder was already tightened down to it's max on the intake and exhaust so I am left looking for a new cam and lifters.
The local lordco store wants stupid money for the parts so I was hoping you guys might know where to get something cheaper because I don't want to have to start cannabalizing the ranger for parts.

Second question...my son installed an offenhauser 4 bll intake on the ranger and it runs fine but the distributor that he installed is an old points one. Does anyone know if a duraspark distributor will fit with this intake?
advance auto parts.cams start at $78.98,#cs745.lifters,#at872 start at $4.68 each.don't know about the dizzy in the offy but i'll bet it does. :dntknw:

small ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
171 c.i. of fury
Transmission
Manual
The dizzy I use in my offey intake is a duraspark. When I was doing a lot of research about offey intakes I never saw anywhere, where intakeds differed for a diffrent dizzy. But all the research was done over a year ago.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual

come to think of it,i believe josht has a offy with duraspark.

Teoma

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sweet on the duraspark. It's just a royal pain in the butt trying to gap the points and set the dwell in that location. When my son put the offy on the truck he had insisted that an electronic wouldn't fit but I wasn't sure about the dimensions. Now I just have to find a distributor...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I got a rebuilt distributer at Carquest for about $70, they took my old TFI one for a $7 core. And I did ask them about it first rather than sneaking it in on them.

Gotta get the cap, rotor and collar too. I think it was about $100 at the parts store when it was all said and done. Grabbed the Duraspark box from a junkyard for a couple bucks, and the pigtail off of an old engine we had sitting around and it all works great.

I used the stock coil rather than mess around with the duraspark canister style coil and a resister (and all the wiring that goes along with it), it has been almost a year now and it still works great.

FYI, bodylifts make distributer work much easier, it was a serious pain to work on mine before I put the lift on.

Here is what I used when I did mine:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/images/2_8Durasparkdistributor.jpg

Last edited:

Teoma

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am trying to avoid doing any kind of a lift. If a truck here in BC is lifted, the MOT can order it in for an annual safety inspection on the pretense that lift kits deteriorate but it's basically designed to just take old vehicles off the road no matter how well maintained they are.
Thanks for the input. The strategy that I have come up with for the now because money is tight(just moved into a new place etc etc...) is I am going to yank the engine out of the ranger and put it in the b2 without the offy intake/carb. Then I'll rebuild the b2's engine with the right parts and do some needed work on the ranger's body. This way I can take my time and do it right. This will keep the wife happy anyway(she's using the b2 to go to work)

BTW I just wanted to clarify something...I have a couple of old duraspark boxes in my junk boxes...it's the blue one that I want, right?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yup, the blue one is the ticket.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals