• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 ranger slotted rotors question

surffishin07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have a 94 ford ranger 4.0 man tranny 4x4. i have a badly warped rotor on the driver side im lookin to replace. since i am going to spend the money i figure why not go for an upgrade to drilled and slotted rotors. all rotors(performance or not) seem to come with the hub assy. the ones i want are from summit but dont say whether it includes the hub assy or not so my question is...is the hub and rotor a one piece assy built together or are they two piece and can separate.

sry to run on...:bad: just tired of bad product decriptions

crbnunit

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
They are seperate. Rotor only has the wheel bearings. Don't get slotted if you are planning on offroading much. The slots collect mud and goo. Eats up the rotors and pads.

surffishin07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They are seperate. Rotor only has the wheel bearings. Don't get slotted if you are planning on off roading much. The slots collect mud and goo. Eats up the rotors and pads.
very good point i dont do too much off roading in this truck its my dd just when i need to get where i need to go sometimes. is that problem just the slots or the cross drilled holes too

crbnunit

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If it is mostly a street truck, I'd put whatever you want on there. The slotted rotors cool a little better at the cost of a little braking surface area and more $$$. Unless you are the goo a lot, I wouldn't worry about the type of rotor you put on.

dangeranger01

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Slotted rotors will be fine. Drilled rotors will crack were they are drilled. Stray away from drilled rotors.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If it is mostly a street truck, I'd put whatever you want on there. The slotted rotors cool a little better at the cost of a little braking surface area and more $$$. Unless you are the goo a lot, I wouldn't worry about the type of rotor you put on.
If he's overheating his brakes, either there is a real problem that needs actual fixing (say, a sticky caliper or master cylinder) or he needs to LEARN TO DRIVE. Unless you're driving the NASCAR circuit, standard brakes will be ENTIRELY adequate; I've used these descending Mt. Evans with no fade.

Drilled or slotted rotors are at best a band-aid, and more likely do nothing but make brake jobs more difficult. If you're riding the brakes, you'll STILL hose the fancy brakes. Perhaps worse, as they have weakened mechanical strength due to the slots.

CraigK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
surffishin07

If you are willing to spend the money to upgrade, and warping is the issue you are trying to solve (usually a consequence of low quality rotor steel - i.e. made in China), consider a set of higher quality rotors (non-Chinese = more $$$) that have also been cryogenically treated (immersed in or subjected to liquid nitrogen, temperature approaching -270°). Cryo-treatment tends give the metal a more consistent grain structure and relieve uneven internal stresses in the metal, which tends to reduce deformation (warping) by heat/cold cycles.

BTW, does anyone know of a source for high quality cryo-treated brake rotors to fit an '87 Bronco II? I've only been able to find them for later model years.

CraigK

surffishin07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well the rotors were warped when i bought the truck because the last genius that owned it didnt like changing the brake pads the pad was past the rivets digging into the rotor so its beyond warping. i wanted the brake upgrade because i am rough on this little truck buts its American it can handle it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals