• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

new and almost completly lost

cnelson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88 MJ with 97+
Make / Model
05 GLI
Transmission
Automatic
ive beenreading up a little on swapping in a 88' tbird turbo 2.3 into a 1992 ranger that i have. i finally started it about a month ago working on it when i have time after work. it slipped my mind when i bought the truck but it orginally had a 6cyl, dont know if it was a 3.0 or 4.0, the previouse owner started a 5.0 swap but the wiring was untouched. anyways i took the computer and enigine wiring from the tbird up to where the fuel injection and some other connecters plugged in by the tbird firewall, i got the tps iac and distrubtior wires connected then realized the fuel injection and other doodads had no where to be plugged. on the ranger the harness disconnects on the driverside firewall with a bolt and on the tbird the wires i need run straight thru the fire wall with what looks like 500 other wires. what im trying to figure out is if a 1989-1992 ranger 2.3 harness would connect to the plug-in at the firewall from the previous 6 cly and work, or if i need to get a 2.3 guage cluster and entire harness. im decent with mechanical issues but when it comes to wiring im clueless and timid lol. also i saw in the turbo swap info theres now a wiring pinout, im embarassed to ask but how the hell do i read and understand thoes? any help is appreciated.:icon_cheers:

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Probably the easiest thing to do is use the ranger's harness. All the sensors used on both engines are pretty interchangeable and have the same wires and plugs. You'll have to add some things like the VAM (vane air meter) wires and maybe a MAP (manifold absolute pressure). You'll have to change some things like making the V6 injector harness a 4 cylinder harness. If it was a 4.0L you'll have to convert it from DIS ignition to the turbocoupe's TFI. Then you'll have to move some wires on the 60-pin computer connector. On my 2.3 to 2.3 turbo swap I had to move about 10 wires on the computer harness and add about 6 more for sensors the bird had that the ranger didn't. A V6 ranger will require some more modification but you should definatly be able to use the existing harness.

Go on ebay and look for a "EVTM" manual for both your ranger and tbird that the engine came from. EVTM stands for Electrical Vaccuum Troubshooting Manual. It will have all the wiring diagrams, connector pinouts, and a description of how each circuit and or sensor works. The ranger will be about 5-10 bucks and the turbo coupe one shouldn't be more than 30. Good luck!

PS -Wiring, sensors and computers are so easy when you start studying how the system works. Carbs are so much more complicated than a computer controlled EFI system. Just learn about EFI and you'll be a wiring swap pro in no time at all.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals