• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Which ball joint press kit from harbor freight?

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So I'm trying to decide which ball joint c-frame press kit to get from harbor freight. I'll probably only use it maybe once or twice a year for ball joints or u-joints and I can't decide between these two. What are your opinions or experiances?

This one is just the basic one they have click me.

And this one looks like it has 2 extra parts and says it's for 4wd applications. I can't tell exactly what the extra parts are or if they are needed or worth the extra money. They also don't say what size the cups are on this one. click me

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I've used the basic one forever. It's been enough for anything I've thrown at it, including changing balljoints on RBVs.

It can be used on U-joints, but it's easier to use a standard claw hammer and a socket (less set-up). U-joints aren't pressed in very hard.

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ok cool, yea i normally just use a hammer on u-joints, but sometimes you get that stubborn one that just wont move... I guess I'll go for the basic one as those other two parts in the 4wd one cant really be anything special and certainly not worth another 20 bucks.

-Jason

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The basic one should be fine jason. We have a basic S&K one at the shop and it's never let us down. I'm not sure what the extra 2 adapters fit...

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Maybe the new Dana 60s that have balljoints need extra reach, that might explain the bottom kit.

I beat u-joints out but I press them back in. 760Xs are about $25 each and I have had the top of a cap break off a joint while beating it back in.

compleckz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
fwiw, i broke the basic one the first time i went to use it.. to press a balljoint on my truck.. so i ended up using the cups and a hammer, and it all went smooth from there...

but it seems others have had good luck with it.. so i prolly just got a bad one.

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
well it is cheap chinese steel (hence the cheap price) so... but damn that balljoint must have really been in there to mess it up like that. At least it gives a good set of cups and adapters even if something happens to the C-frame.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hmm, I've heard some scary sounds coming from that thing, but it's still in the same number of pieces it came as.

The sound of a 20 year old balljoint breaking free is a nice CRACK.

Just make sure you remove the snap ring first.:icon_rofl:

Southern3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, what a turd...
Transmission
Manual
God I hate Harbor Freight but ever since they opened one in my town I always end up there and spend more money then I planed on. Its a sickness, but still for some reason I love it.......

4Banger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok cool, yea i normally just use a hammer on u-joints, but sometimes you get that stubborn one that just wont move...

-Jason
If it wont come out get a bigger hammer.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals