• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Steel and tubing sizes

308holes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I getting ready to build a new front and rear bumper.

Just wondering what size channel, square tube, rectangle tube, or tubing you guys have used for your bumpers, mounting brackets, winch mounts, ring/tow point attachments.

I would like to make this thing strong, but I would also like the bumpers to bend/brake before the frame.:nono: So I don't really want them crazy strong.

I was thinking about 4"x6"x.12" steel tubing for the main part. No idea what to make the mounting brackets, light tabs, and winch mount out of.

Also wondering how to attach a receiver hitch.

Has anyone ever tried to use the inside of the tubing for storage of parts, tools, or anything else???

Where's a good source for d-rings, clevis, receiver hitchs, tow hooks, and stuff like that?

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
1/4 plate for mounting brackets and winch mounts is generally a good choice.

hitech_hick

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Here is my bumper build Winch Bumper, it is complete overkill, and weighs in around 200#'s with the winch. As mentioned, it is recommended that you use 1/4 inch for mounting the winch, the body can be as thick or as thin as you want it.

Honestly, you want your bumper to be stronger than your frame. This way it acts like an additional cross-member and pulls both frame rails evenly.

As for where to get d-rings and such, I would try to find them locally at a spring shop or a tractor supply place, otherwise shipping can get pretty steep.

Hope this helps...

hick

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
My winch tray and frame mounts are 1/4" and the pipe for the bumper is sched 40 (about 3/16")

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I built mine out of 2 x 4 x.120 rect. tube (rear is 2x5"). Plenty strong, but not ridiculously so (adding tons of weight). They're probably just a slight bit lighter than the stock bumpers were.

The winch mount is attached with 3/16" x 2.5" angle to the frame (Warn's mount is the same thickness as well).
Shackle mounts will be made up from 1/4" x 2" strips running through the bumper to the angle that's bolted to the frame (still have to make those).

I generally stick with tubing to make bumpers (round or square/rect.). Open channel flexes too much unless you go real thick, then you're just adding weight.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals