• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

B II for towing?

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
how does a stock B2 do for light towing (1500-3000) im thinking of going the small suv route when my ranger needs retiring. i could start now with a rolling chassis and build up a mild 302 or redo my curent 4.0 dont really know how good the 2.9 was in its day. considering most would have a ton of miles on them, id be going through a motor anyhow. might as wel build the right one. dont really care if 4wd or not, the best benifit of 4wd to me is having low range for low-speed backing or saving the clutch on a boat ramp. i know i could consider a explorer but i like the shorter wheelbase of the B2. a 2 door exploder would be easier to find in better condition though.
________
Plymouth Belvedere picture

Last edited:

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
In my experience towing, the longer-wheelbase rigs seem to tow better, but the shorter trucks are more maneuverable. If I were towing any distance, I'd stick with the longer wheelbase, however for moving things around the lot or yard, the short trucks are very nice.

PARKINGLOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've towed stuff with my old BII...never seemed to have any problems...

I'm also used to hauling stuff for a living, too though...

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
My B2 was used to tow a small camper when it was owner by the previous owner. I have towed a 6x12 trailer with mine. It required minimal effort, just had to be quick getting the clutch up and allow stopping distance. Granted it was never very far. I pulled my dad's 22' bassboat about 30 miles once. Lastly I used to tow a 5x7 trailer with a 700# ATV on it 100 miles round trip every weekend.

ZSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you already had the BII I would say it'd be fine towing up to 3000# occasionally, but since you still have to buy the BII I would advise against it. The very short wheelbase is the biggest fault for towing. Even going from my Ext. Cab Ranger to my brother's Reg. Cab I can't stand it when towing. The longer the wheelbase the better the tow rig.

If you need and SUV I'd reccomend a four door Explorer/Mountaineer, or an Ext. Cab Ranger.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
i have a s/c ranger now, i was thinking the manuvering would be better, expecially when backing with the short wheelbase. my trailer is a 6x10, iwas just trying to think ahead somewhat, the ranger is getting pretty rusty underneath and licenceing a suv would be cheaper than a pickup. fuel milage isnt a real concern, i get 17 with just the truck, never checked it while towing, but the vaccum guage reads real low (10-12, in 4rth gear) so i know its working it. heck it could be a few more years before the ranger isnt roadable anyways. just put new power steering lines on, go a pinhole in the pressure side that was spraying into the wheelwell, very messy (and the pump whines even worse with low oil)
________
Honda NSR125 specifications

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals