• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

BOdy swap?

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I just bought a 87 Ranger Xtracab 4x4 2.9L, A4LD, electric push-button transfer case and am going to swap the body from my 87 2 wheel drive.

My 2 wheel drive is also an Xtracab, but it has dual fuel tanks, receiver hitch, trailer wiring and brake box that I want to swap all to the 4x4. Later I'm going to swap to a 5-speed manual tranny. Any tips and tricks are appreciated. BTW, both pinks are clean and legit, but I'm thinking it would be easier to keep the pink from the 4x2 for the 4x4...

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
body swap

sounds like a lot of work. the 4x4 must be thrashed. i wouldnt try it unless the 2wd is a 2.9l. also remember that the auto has a different computer than the manual it should be behind the passenger side kickpanel. the 2wd wont have the 4x4 indicator lights or the push button shifter panel for auto transfer cases. it would probably be easier to put in a manual shift transfer case out of another truck they are better anyway,just grab the shiftboot and linkage from an auto truck

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yeah it's alot of work...ugh, but it'll be worth it and it's a 2.9 too! :) Going to plug the 4x4 computer into my cab and wiring harness. Will get a manual tcase and shifter with boot. Stupid electric shift transfer cases.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals