• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

anyone broke their fuel pump off?

dieselboy740

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
86 bronco2
Transmission
Automatic
Two of our 2.8 truck have done it now wtf...good motor mounts and it all looks ok. I just capped off the hole and ran a electric but this shouldn't happen.

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
There is no reason for them to break off that I can think of - and I've had lots of cars and trucks.
Is it possible that the bolts are over torqued?

jester77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm digging this one out!! Did a search- Mine broke off!!! Truck quit running, DEAD- I push it by hand three blocks back to my house, thinking I had some electrical issue with my duraspark, took the cap off the distributer- lots of corrosion under the coil wire, cleaned confidant that was it- dead. Hmmmm is is getting gas? I yank the fuel line loose, turn it over a couple time and no fuel, hmmmm trace the fuel line....... what is that rod sticking out of my engine and why is my fuel pump sitting on the frame rail??

30 bucks at schucks and now I'm into my second hour of trying patiently to get those damn two bolts started in my block......:shok:

B2 Addict

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
37x12.50-17
I broke one off yrs ago in my 84 B2 when I was doing the 1st/reverse maneuver to get unstuck. I broke a motor mount while floored in reverse & it peeled the pump right off. :icon_surprised:

Only happened one time so far in 15 yrs, I can't imagine why it would happen if your motor mounts are good? :icon_confused:

jester77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
well, just a word of advice for anyone replacing their fuel pump in the future. Take the extra 25 minutes and pull you airconditioning compressor and mounts loose and lay them over the engine- after that thing is out of the way it gets much easier. Then take the extra 15 minutes to take your oil pressure sender off and the mount and the bottom bolt gets easier. I spent an hour and a half failing to get the bolts started, took the extra 30 minutes pulling a few pieces off and done.

Just friendly advice:icon_twisted:

87Rangerdude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
go to parts place buy a fuel regulator (about 50 bucks here), and a mr. gasket fuel pump (40ish here) you wont have any issues with fuel delivery unless you run your battery down. sorry i dont know much about mechanical fuel pumps but it seems simpler just to convert to electric, less complicated and seemingly more effective at delivery (might be wrong)

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I've replaced a pump on a 2.8 liter and it does help to get things out of the way plus have another person helping with the bolts. It only took us an hour to replace it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
go to parts place buy a fuel regulator (about 50 bucks here), and a mr. gasket fuel pump (40ish here) you wont have any issues with fuel delivery unless you run your battery down. sorry i dont know much about mechanical fuel pumps but it seems simpler just to convert to electric, less complicated and seemingly more effective at delivery (might be wrong)
Mechanical pumps are simpler, you don't have to wire them. Just bolt them on the block and hook up the lines. I put mine on 2 weeks after I got the truck and 9 years later I haven't touched it since.

Eric Kropp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mine was REAL easy to replace when I had the engine out of the pick-up.....................

Eric

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals