• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1984 Ranger 4x4, "Wrangler"???

MeatAnchor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
uploadfromtaptalk1438610775902.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1438610763666.jpg
About to buy this 1984 Ranger, auto, 4x4, 2.8, decent body and poor interior, excellent drivetrain. It's badged as a "Wrangler" and I cannot find any info on it online. I'm not new to working on cars, restoring, etc. I'm certainly not new to Fords although this will my first Ranger.
Does anyone have any info on the model? Is it just a badge that was thrown on it or is it something official?
Any info is appreciated. Thanks guys!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Jeep badge??

MeatAnchor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Is it? I thought of that too but haven't nailed it down because I could find any like that repro for a Jeep

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Either a previous owner or a dealer threw it on there. Definitely didn't come from the factory that way.

I've never seen that emblem on a Jeep either. The Jeep Wrangler was introduced in 1987, so it's possible that in 1984 a dealer somewhere was doing a custom dealer "package" and using that name and badge, that has happened a lot over the years. Maybe their was a once a "Wrangler Ford" dealership and that was their dealer badge? I think it's more likely that someone just saw the emblem and though it would look cool on their truck (IE: Chrome à la J.C. Whitney) and if one looks good, two or three must be better.

MeatAnchor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Either a previous owner or a dealer threw it on there. Definitely didn't come from the factory that way.

I've never seen that emblem on a Jeep either. The Jeep Wrangler was introduced in 1987, so it's possible that in 1984 a dealer somewhere was doing a custom dealer "package" and using that name and badge, that has happened a lot over the years. Maybe their was a once a "Wrangler Ford" dealership and that was their dealer badge? I think it's more likely that someone just saw the emblem and though it would look cool on their truck (IE: Chrome à la J.C. Whitney) and if one looks good, two or three must be better.
The dealer badge denoting "Wrangler Ford" makes the most sense. I work at a dealership and from the movement of inventory from one dealer to another, I've seen things similar to that, just never quite to this extent.
Next time I get around the truck, I'll run the VIN through carfax and see if it came from out west originally and what the name of the dealer was. If I can remember, I'll also check to see if they're adhesive or the old rivet style where holes were drilled and they had to be hammered on the back.
Either way, $1500, runs like a top and 4x4 works. I think I'm getting a good deal, odd badges or not.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
It definitely sounds like a steal..

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Definitely sounds like a good deal

MeatAnchor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Quick update, selling a few toys to buy this one. Hopefully Monday will see me into driving the truck home. Comes with the orginal 2.8 in the bed with a lower mileage 2.8 under the hood. It will need a set of tires but that shouldn't be an issue.
Anything I should know about this model to look for as far as common issues? Small block Fords and straight sixes are my wheel house, don't have much experience with V6's. Wish me luck!

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Not much different from what you're accustomed to dealing with.

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
Looks like my 84. Mine HAD the 2.8 but with a manual transmission. The computerized carb is a PITA sometimes. I seemed to go through TPS sensors quite a bit (stupid sensor on a carb'd engine). If it has been taken care of the engine is a decent enough runner (minus the computer stuff). Do a good tune up on it. Mine always did really well off-road (even stock) so I built it up.....

Sorry no stock pics. I have had mine since 92 or so and its always been a great little truck (specs are in my sig.)

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I really miss my 1984 Ford Ranger. If I only knew about this forum in 2002 I would still have my truck :(. All it needed was what is referred to here as the Duraspark conversion as the computer in it was causing issues. The 2.8L V6 engine was pretty descent and prior to me owning it, my grandparents spend about 16 years with it using it as a tow vehicle for their 14' travel trailer which they pulled all over the country and never had any trouble. The truck was 2WD, and had the 3 speed automatic in it, but it did amazingly well towing. Wish I could get that old truck back especially now that my grandmother is gone, and grandpa's health is failing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals