• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

carboned up intake

mudrunstan

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
been having issues with my intake manifold its been getting all carboned up inside the passages this will be the second time ive had to take it in to have it cleaned and chisled out anyone got any ideas on why this is happening

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
doesnt have anything to do with your EGR system does it? this could be indicative of a poorly running motor which is spilling a lot of carbon into the exhaust...which is in turn picked up by the EGR and fed back into the intake.

if its not carbon, but rather oil, check your motor for excessive blow by...which could cause a lot of oil vapor to be vented into the intake.

Eric Kropp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That whole system is part of the EGR. I would check your EGR and verify that it is working correctly. If it is not working, none of the exaust gas can get out of the passages into the intake of the engine, hence the build up. Any manual will tell you how to check the EGR.

Eric

trents

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 Durasparked, Stage 1 RV cam, block "0" decked, 350cfm Motorcraft 2150
Transmission
Manual
That EGR crossover passage clogs up with carbon given enough time no matter how well the EGR is functioning. When it gets completely clogged up then the EGR ceases to function properly. If you don't have to pass emissions. Just fabricate a metal block off plate to use in place of the EGR valve.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
deleting emissions components is against federal law, and is punishable by a heafty fine.

deleting the EGR can also cause a number of driveability problems not limited to pinging, and decreased milage and power.

trents

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
"deleting emissions components is against federal law, and is punishable by a heafty fine"

The same could be said for doing the Duraspark conversion, which many Ranger and B2 owners have done. We have found it impossible to find some emissions components to replace the ones that go bad on these 25-year-old trucks. There comes a point when you can't continue to comply with the Federal emissions regulations even if you want to.

"deleting the EGR can also cause a number of driveability problems not limited to pinging, and decreased milage and power"

Contrar! Not deleting them when that stuff starts to go bad and you can't get parts to fix them is guaranteed to keep you from getting your rig to run well again. It's not just the EGR valve that's the problem. You can find a replacement for that okay. But some of the other emissions components that the EGR valve works together with are no longer available. Besides, rigs ran just fine in the days before we ever had EGR! I did the Duraspark conversion and blocked off my EGR several years ago. I've gotten 22 mpg a couple of times since doing that and my Ranger 4x4 runs great! No ping, no drivability problems either.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the ignition system is not an emissions component, therefor a duraspark conversion is not against federal law. the original poster's problem is carbon in the EGR ports, not a failed EGR system. this is easily correctable without purchasing any parts.

an engine that is tuned to compensate for an EGR, or any other emissions component for that matter, can have drivability problems after removing said component. yes engines ran fine before EGR was implemented, but thats because they were tuned for it.

trents

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I disagree when you say the ignition system is not an emissions component. The Duraspark ignition system will not integrate with the ECC of the mid 80's Rangers and B2s which came OEM with TFI ignition. It all works together and is coordinated by the onboard computer. If you replace the TFI with Duraspark then the EGR function will also be adversely affected because it will be getting inappropriate signals from the computer. If you change one thing in the ECC system the whole thing will be out of wack. Its all or nothing.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, to do the duraspark properly you take both the distributer and feedback caruburator off, so then there isn't much for the computer to do.

My EGR valve was stuck open and leaking around the base (someone before me didn't put a gasket in it) so when I put a plate with a new gasket on it the thing ran much better, no more 200-300 RPM hunting at idle. Not to mention EGR only works during low power/low RPM conditions and mine is usually fighting for its life to get out of its own way so it would probably never do anything anyway.

My engine needs rebuilt so that is probably why mine was full of crud, I have plans to replace it shortly but I am not ready just quite yet.

Eric Kropp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I tend to lean Trent's direction, simply because I'm from California. I don't like it, but it's the way we HAVE to do things in CA. We can't just delete what ever we please when things get a little "bumby". We have to keep things stock and correct in order to pass the visual part of the emissions test. I've heard of some making changes and going to the "referee" and getting by, but I think that is more the exception than the rule. I have found most of the parts for emissions available through large chain auto parts and the internet auto parts. We also have some pretty cool salvage yard where I live an there is always 15 or so Rangers to pilage from for parts. From my experience the only parts I've not seen at the auto parts is the solenoids on the right fender that control the carburetor. Good discussion....don't get so huffy though, it is all for fun....

Eric

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals