• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

worked for me 5 minute high idle fix

skj283

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys. Just wanted to pass this along. Been doing a lot of reading and no one seems to have a cut and dry way of fixing the high idle issue a lot of guys have. My truck would idle at about 2 grand after pressing in the clutch until 15 mph then it would come down to around 11 hundred. I dealt with this for a few years by just making a gasket that blocked the iac holes and turning the idle screw up to set the idle. In my renewed quest for a fix I found a couple guys who had success filling the hole in the throttle blade and re drilling it to a smaller size. I decided to try it a different way. I got a 3/4 inch long 5/32 inch diameter cotter pin and put in the hole and spread it. This dramatically restricts the hole size but still alows some air to pass. Also it's completely reversable. Obviously smaller or larger cotter pins would alter the amount of restriction.

I just backed my idle screw off all the way then turned it til the blade moved slightly off the bore of the tb. Then verify that ur cotter pin has plenty of clearance inside the bore so as not to create any interference with the bore.

Long story short now the truck goes to 1100 after I press in the clutch and down to about 650 at 15 mph or below. It still maintains a 2000 ish high idle right after start up also.

Truck is a 93 4.0 4x4 ranger with 214,000 miles. Hope this can help someone else down the road. Again if u do this make sure u have plenty of room around the piN at all throttle positions

Last edited:

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
All hail the mighty ziptie!
Oh my goodness... It's so simple... You my friend are a genius.

skj283

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks. I know it's not the classiest or highest tech fix, but bottom line is it worked. And if it doesn't work for someone else, 2 seconds and they can take it back out and move on. Not truly a fix just a crutch, but it's a 22 year old daily driver and I'm not worried about flash, just want her to get me down the road.

Tired of being the guy in the mac d's drive through with his truck screaming for no reason

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals