• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Experience...

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
I just found my old Jon-E hand-warmers and filled them with lighter fluid and fired them up. Lo, and behold...they still work! They have been sitting in the attic for almost 50 years.

Question???What do you hunters or outdoorsmen use to keep your hands warm? Anyone tried the re-chargeable electronic hand-warmers?

Any eBayers ever order anything directly from China? Looking at a camera cover that can be used to protect and keep a camera warm at -0 to -30 degrees while shooting photos of the aurora borealis? Can't seem to find anything USA made.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
The ebay thing depends highly on the seller and the item.

I ordered a headlight assembly for my '78 XL350 from Thailand and it arrived packaged well exactly when the seller said it would.. 2 months later. LOL.

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
HaHaHa. Hurry up and Wait, in other words. Free shipping and a delivery date of 3-4 weeks. About the same as getting something from the east coast. Guess I'll see if it is even worthwhile.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I use the dry chemical hand warmers you find about anywhere that work when exposed to air.

I put them in the palm of my hand with my glove kinda loose so I can hold onto the thing and it soaks through my fingers. See a critter that needs shot and a quick shake removes the glove and warmer.

Don't know if you are asking about them as a hand warmer or a camera warmer though...

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Yes, trying to keep hands and camera batteries warm. I've never had much luck using the chemicals WARMERS but maybe they have improved over the years. Some of these electronic hand warmers have good reviews and also provide 5 volt power for cell phones and such. They also have a led flashlight. I'll post again if I try them.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They work good in an Iowa winter for me. You do have to let them sit out for a little to get good air access. It takes forever for them to get going if you put them in the glove right away, must not be much air in there.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It doesn't get that cold down here in GA, but the times I've needed something when hunting those hot hands chemical warmers have worked great. As said above they need oxygen to work, so it's best to leave them exposed to get up to temp then put in glove/mitt/whatever.

I've heard of those electric hand warmers that you refer too, but never used them. You got a link to the ones you are thinking about?

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Yo, JoshT. Don't know how to add a link from this Kindle but the electronic hand warmers are on Amazon. One is a KOZY 7800mAh and the other is a Defrost Labs LE5K. Either unit would probably be worthwhile. They can be recharged at least 500 times and would be equal or even cheaper than chemical hand warmers, in the long run.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The disposable "hot hands" hand warmers depend on a mix of chemicals
that are triggered in to reacting by atmospheric moisture.

exhaling through them really gets them rolling

the Jon-E hand-warmers work on the same principle as the catalytic converter in your truck

I have run them on Coleman fuel, I have a mind to try running one on jet-a when I can get to the airport to buy some.

AD

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
For some reason, I am on a hand warmer kick. I think I will try Coleman Camp Fuel (White Gas) next time I get to town or I will see if the lumber yard has Naptha. To damn cheap to buy the fancy lighter fluids.

I have 2 antique Jon-E, 3 new Zippos that Amazon had for $10 each and I just ordered two Mini catalytic hand warmers from China for the wife since she has really small hands. Cold hands are miserable.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals