• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

tires from old forum

jmkjr72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
explorer
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, due to the recent accident I was involved in, I will be replaceing the tires on my Avalance sooner than expected.

This truck see everything fromwet pavement, ice, light snow and sometimes up to about 2 ft deep, gravel roads, very little off road but sometime a little, NO major mud.

What I am looking for in my next tire...

Good to excelent tread wear (50,000 mi)+ preferably
Good ice, snow and wet paventment friendly
Good Ride, with low or no raod noise
And a good looking tread design, sidewall.

Some that I am specifiaclly looking at...

Mickey Thompson ATZ
Pro Comp AT
Pro Comp extreme AT
Pro Comp extreme MT
Dick Cepek Crusher

That is just to name a few.

IF anyone is running anything that would like to comment on please do so.

I will consider ANY tire that is available in my size of 265/70/17 that meets most of the requirements above.

I can give up a little of one or two criteria if they excell in the other areas.

Also price is not really that important.

Thanks

Chris

Off the top of my head, if you're saying it will be on the road most of the time and not in mud, why are all your choices so far either All Terrains or Mud Terrains?

For a vehicle that is on-road, when mileage and ride quality are important, I doubt you want All Terrains or Mud Terrains. Especially if you have 4WD, I would suggest you check out some truck all-season tires.

Examples: BFG Long Trail TA, Cooper Discoverer HT, Dunlop Rover RT.

I'm partial toward BFG Long Trails, as I've tried several different brands and liked the BFG the best. I've used them on three trucks. Go to the tire sites and see what folks say about them.

Goodyear Wrangler RTS and Continental ContiTracs are also truck al-seasons but I've heard nothing but negative comments on both.

Good luck.

My parents have Michelen Cross Country's one their Explorer, they are a very nice tire for both snow and ride.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...yes&place=1

This post has been edited by 85_Ranger4x4: Jul 12 2007, 09:35 AM

i would recommend BFG All Terrains. i have had them on my truck for about 2 years. I drive 85% on road and 15% gravel / snowy logging roads. From my experience they are great on dry/wet pavement and very good in the snow.

I had a set of the BFG Long Trails on before, i would never look at a set again, they had very poor performance on wet pavement (not much better on dry) and forget about snow. the AT's are much better. The AT's a bit noisier on the road, not by much, i got use to it.

hope this helps.

Thanks for the input so far guys. THe reason I am looking at A/T tires is I have ran several sets of All-seasons and have NEVER been impressed with any of them when it comes to winter driving. I used to run Mastercraft Courser A/T's and they FAR out preformed any all-season for abut half the price. I have not ruled these out but am considering others. Milages is one place that I can bend a little, becasue I only drive the Avy about 10-12K per year and replacing tires every 4 years is not a problem.

I really like the looks of the Mickey THompson ATZ, the price is about the same as the stock wranglers, the BFG AT's, and a little cheaper than the Pro Comps. Mickey THompson teck got back with me and said that with my driving conditions, and vehicle I should expect between 40K and 50K out of a set.

BUt keep posting up experiences, I tend to change my mind several times before I make a big purchase like this...

Thanks

Chris

The Ex does have a limited slip, but last I checked they haven't had to reach for the knob on the dash yet after 2 years of having it, nor have they gotton any indication that it slipped into 4x4 on its own automatically. We do get some fairly decent snows around here, especially last winter.

I have 255/70-16 Widetrack Baja AT's on my F-150 and really like them, two years ago I would retrieving deer with ease in a foot of snow on some fairly challenging slopes (lovely CRP ground). I got them for $380 for the set on a buy 3 get one free special a local farm store (Orchelen's) was running. I have had them 2 years this fall and have about 20k on them, another 20k-30k looks like a very real possibility. They ride good and make a little noise, nothing like my Dunlop's on my Ranger however. For the money I think they are a good deal, I got a sidewall cut by something in some mud (could have been anything, I almost hit a 2" receiver with a ball on it one time), they gave me a new tire for $30 (the tread I had used before the old one got cut), compared to a $10 patch $30 for a new replacement tire I don't think isn't too bad of a deal. It is nice when they stand behind their products, and I like to deal face to face on stuff as expensive as a tire.

I wish I could help you on the tires you have listed but I haven't been around any of them at all.

my buddy just put sport king A/T s on has truck. they look like a realy good A/T tire

Junkie, I will consider the BFG, but EVERYONE seems to suggest them, and as long as we both have been hear reading each others post, you shold know by now that I HAVE to be different...lol

Evan, I did check into those, I am not real impressed with the tread design on the ones listed in the size I need and If I were going that route, I woul dhave to have the green diamond addative, but that isn't offered either...

Green Machine, I am checkig into those right now, I know someone that had them and did like them but liked thier pro comps better and are running Dick Cepek Mud Country's now and like them better as well...

Thanks and keep the input comming.

QUOTE(97_4x4 @ Jul 12 2007, 08:25 PM)

Junkie, I will consider the BFG, but EVERYONE seems to suggest them, and as long as we both have been hear reading each others post, you shold know by now that I HAVE to be different...lol

Well, probably because they're good tires (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hammerhit.gif)

Maybe look into Bridgestone Dueler ATs.

A buddy of mine ran them for quite awhile before finally switching to MT tires, they seemed to perform almost as well as the BFGs do.

(IMG:http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/bridgestone/bs_dueler_at_uni_t.jpg)

Dunlop Radial Rover A/T. Had them on my Explorer for past 4 years or so and still have them. Very quiet and excellent all-weather performance.

I run Uniroyal Liberator A/t s and love the damn things, especially for the price.

Great in the snow, good in loose stuff, decent in light mud, and great on pavement, wet or dry.

The truck came with Goodyear Wrangler RT/s, which were decent, but after about 20,000 mi they really started to get smooth, and they became terrible. I replaced them at 28000 with the Liberators, and it felt like a new truck again. And still does. I also went froma P rated tire up to a LT tire too. (What should have came with it in the first place).

I'll probably replace these with another set of Uniroyal Liberators when these wear out. Wal Mart carries them...... definitely give them a look. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_cheers.gif)

+1 on the Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVOs. My dad has a set on his F-150 and they have been an excellent tire in rain, snow, and dry pavement. He has 30k on them now and they look like they'll last another 20k easy. I know 2 other people that have them on Tahoes and love them. One guy had a set go bald just before the warranty was up and Bridgestone gave him a new set free.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals