• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.8 noise, typical ??

4x4ranger84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello all, i'm new here and have read alot of the forums here but haven't came across anything close to what i'm about to ask.(great forums btw.)

I have a 84 ranger 4x4, 2.8, and it sounds like a damn sewing machine.It runs great, has around 120k on it,don't smoke at all.Just really sounds like a bunch rocker clatter.I've had several people tell me they've owned rangers,bronco II's and thats just how they sound.Even had a local mechanic tell me the same thing. So i'm wondering if there is a way to quiet this or fix this?

Also have a question about this truck leaning on the drivers side, found a cab support rusted threw, but as far as the bed i haven't been able to find anything causing it. Are the leaf springs known to get weak??

This started out as just a little project truck i picked up cheap due to the clutch being out.Was suppose to be a cheap little work truck and has turned into a $$ trap. New clutch, pressure plate,etc. Egr, water pump,hoses,exhaust,battery,tires,master cylinder,had the heads checked due runnin above normal temp(is it true that these motors came with 2 thermostats??had 2 in mine,removed the lower one and runs fine now). and i'm sure there is more i've replaced just can't remember.

This is my first Ford i've owned, and even though its been a pain,i'm kinda fond of it. So anyway, any help you guys can give me i want to thank you in advance.

Eric Kropp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 2.8 engine has solid lifters, so some noise is normal. I would pop the rocker covers and adjust the valves to the spec. in the Haynes manual, this should quiet it some. The first 2.8 Rangers had the thermostat down low, the '85's came with it up on the top. My guess is, some one changed the top radiator spout with an '85 spout on the manifold and probably dropped a 'stat in 'cause they thought it was missing. Just a guess.

Eric <><

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
About the springs, with both the driver and fuel tank on the left side, when they get some age on them the springs do get weak and the truck starts to lean.

Jorley

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 duraspark
Transmission
Manual
First let me say welcome to TRS. You've come to the right place with questions about Rangers, Bll and Explorers.

I've got a 2.8l in my Bll. Mine has the same sound. One thing you can try is to check the valve lash and maybe run a heavier weight oil. Pennzoil has an oil for high mileage vehicles you might try. I tried the last oil change(2-3 weeks ago) and so far so good. I'm using 10w-40. It's alittle more expensive than regular oil(about $14 for 5 qt. jug) and may be just be hype. If you live in a colder climate you may have a problem running a heavier oil in the winter.
Another thing you might consider is change the TFI ignition to duraspark. I'm doing mine this weekend(hopefully). The duraspark allows you to get rid of the emissions stuff, the computer and that damned feedback carb.
Here are two links from the Tech Library about duraspark.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/DurasparkII.html
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/2_8Duraspark.html

Also check the Tech Library, there is alot of good info on almost everything you need to know about your Ranger.

4x4ranger84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks again everyone, i've heard the solid lifters could cause it, but figured i'd ask the experts.I was also told the rocker arm assembly (??) gets worn, any truth to that?

Yeah to what Jorley said about coming to the right place, i agree. i read alot of the threads on here and was very impressed.

I adjusted the valves after i put the heads back on,and probably have put a few thousand miles on since. So guess it wouldn't hurt to re-adjust now. On the leaf spring issue, any ideal where i could get new ones at? Sure would hate to get used ones then have the same issues.

Thanks again everyone, i really appreciate everyones help.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
On the leaf spring issue, any ideal where i could get new ones at? Sure would hate to get used ones then have the same issues.
Here is what I am doing, but I got the Explorer axle as well and as soon as I get it rebuilt I am going to put it all in at the same time. They are supposed to make the ride slightly firmer, but no more leaning. Until I found these I the plan was to nab the passenger side spring out of my parts truck and put it on the drivers side of mine.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/ExplorerLeafs.htm

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
Thanks again everyone, i've heard the solid lifters could cause it, but figured i'd ask the experts.I was also told the rocker arm assembly (??) gets worn, any truth to that?

Yeah to what Jorley said about coming to the right place, i agree. i read alot of the threads on here and was very impressed.

I adjusted the valves after i put the heads back on,and probably have put a few thousand miles on since. So guess it wouldn't hurt to re-adjust now. On the leaf spring issue, any ideal where i could get new ones at? Sure would hate to get used ones then have the same issues.

Thanks again everyone, i really appreciate everyones help.
go online and get the ranger catalog from lmctruck.com.it's free!

i have a 83 2.8 and have 0 valve noise,follow the manual and jack the engine by hand to set it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals