• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

oil additive for noisy lifters

MiniMe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
any suggestions for oil additive for noisy lifters. Recently picked up a 91 explorer.

jhammel85

Try Marvel's mystery oil or lucas in the oil for a few hundred miles. Both of which I had luck with in the past.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
General valve train noise is from a lower oil pressure that occurs when engines get higher miles.
Oil pressure comes from bearing clearances in the crank and cam, when these wear down, which is normal, more oil can pass between bearing and journal so back pressure(oil pressure) is reduced.
As overall pressure drops the upper part of the engine is effected first, because of distance and gravity, so valve train noise.

Running a higher viscosity oil, 40w instead of 30w, reduces the volume flowing out at the bearings so increases overall oil pressure back to what it was.
Oil is used for lubrication and cooling, "thicker" oil in a high mile engine just puts flow back to what it was when bearings were newer.

Some engines, like the Ford 2.9l, had specific issues in upper engine oil pressure, worn cam bearing caused premature valve train noise.

Hydraulic lifters have return springs that can break, this would cause a specific "tick" versus general "tapping" from lower oil pressure.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
sorry to hijack, but Ron I have a hydraulic lifter sticking in the 93 4.0 ibelieve. But my oil pressure gauge shows pretty good pressure til i drive and then bounces around real bad, i figured bad sending unit. but i have ALOT of miles. any thoughts?

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
ATF, one quart. Run the engine for an hour with it in there. Drain and change oil afterwards.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
sorry to hijack, but Ron I have a hydraulic lifter sticking in the 93 4.0 ibelieve. But my oil pressure gauge shows pretty good pressure til i drive and then bounces around real bad, i figured bad sending unit. but i have ALOT of miles. any thoughts?
'93 Fords will have an oil pressure switch, so yes, jumping needle would indicate wire or switch issue.

Yes, add some ATF(automatic transmission fluid), it is a high detergent oil that will help clean out oil passages and lifters, then change the oil as usual.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
awesome thanks

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The problem is more than likely a worn push rod and rocker arm. The pushrods are solid and don't allow oil to travel through them to lubricate the top end like other engines do. The correct fix for this prominent problem in new lifters, pushrods and rocker arms. Any additives will only mask the problems for a while..........if at all.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
When pushrods are not used for oiling, there is another route to the top end for the oil It's not like it doesn't get oil. ATF will cleanse the lifter if it is leaking down because of buildup. It will mask nothing. It may clean them, if it does the problem may be fixed, not masked. It may do nothing, but only a couple bucks are wasted.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am not saying what you put won't work but he if chasing a persistant problem prone to the OHV 4.0. Even running ATF through the oil system to clean out the system, it won't replace the metal worn from the pushrods or the lifters causing the ticking to begin with. So then lets rethink this because you are right......it won't mask it, it will still be there regardless of what he does until the correct parts are replaced to rid the engine of the tick.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
You could be correct. But you may not. And for a few dollars he will able to see if the lifters are ticking because they are bleeding down. If that does nothing, then there could be mechanical damage. I taught Autoshop for years, over 20. I certainly know what goes on within an engine. And if he has worn parts, then this won't help. But gummed up lifters is a common occurrence with engines that have the camshaft in the block. ATF has solved this problem too many times to count. So let' give it a try. It's certainly not a poor decision to try it. I'm not suggesting any additive to quiet it down, I'm talking about removing varnish from within a hydraulic lifter. Have you even taken one apart? I used to have an example mounted on the wall that I took apart so students could see the internal workings; not much there really :) But enough to get gummed up easily.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
His exact word were there any additives for "noisy lifters". The only noisy lifters that I have ever heard have been solids or ones that are not adjusted correctly. The OHV 4.0 are notorious for what people call "noisy lifters". With these OHV engines and them not having oil pass through the pushrods to oil the gap between the pushrods and rocker arms the 2 wear and sound like a "noisy lifter". I have 26 ASE Certifications and yes I have had lifters apart and know how they are made. The 4.0 OHV ones are made different as they are not pumps like others. I can see them "gumming" up if it has sat for a while but he did not express that. I also can't see them "gumming" up as the cam turns so fast and voilently against the lifter so it can depress the springs for the valves.

I am not trying to argue and agree with you that he can give it a try and see what happens. A lifter kit is more than a couple hundred dollars...I know I wouldn't want to spend it on that right now.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Well you have a lot of experience with these particular engines. My answer is in generic terms. I hope for him, mine helps, but you may be correct in his case.

MiniMe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You could be correct. But you may not. And for a few dollars he will able to see if the lifters are ticking because they are bleeding down. If that does nothing, then there could be mechanical damage. I taught Autoshop for years, over 20. I certainly know what goes on within an engine. And if he has worn parts, then this won't help. But gummed up lifters is a common occurrence with engines that have the camshaft in the block. ATF has solved this problem too many times to count. So let' give it a try. It's certainly not a poor decision to try it. I'm not suggesting any additive to quiet it down, I'm talking about removing varnish from within a hydraulic lifter. Have you even taken one apart? I used to have an example mounted on the wall that I took apart so students could see the internal workings; not much there really :) But enough to get gummed up easily.
Thanks I will give atf a shot and see what it does.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I used atf once and it got rid of the lifter tick. ....for a month then it came back

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals