• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

reloading newbie

infantry grunt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
Can someone recommend a good reloading book for starters.l will be reloading 30-06 for now.l have not bought any components to start a kit yet, because l want to learn more about it first.Open to suggestions, thanks.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I don't know if there are any good reloading books out there but I want to say that the Hornady reloading manuals have a pretty thick section in the front that talks about how to load, what to look for in cases, etc.

.30-06 is one that can be loaded light or heavy, IIRC it can be loaded from like a 110 grain bullet up to a 220 grain bullet. You used to be able to get inserts that would hold a 50 or 55 grain .223 bullet too, dunno if they're still available. When it comes to bullet selection though, it's largely going to depend on what you're doing with it. For deer, a 150 grain is adequate, just use a premium hunting bullet for hunting purposes. Arguably a 150 grain would be adequate for black bear too.

One problem you may have is finding reloading stuff for sale right now. From what I've heard, there really isn't anything available.

If it was me, I'd probably be looking for an RCBS Rock Chucker (preferred) or a Lee "O" press. Get a set of Lee Deluxe rifle dies (preferred) or RCBS dies. Get a Lee hand priming tool. Lyman case trimmer. Calipers. Scale. Hornady One-Shot case lube. Primer pocket cleaner and case neck deburrer (lyman makes a nice set). For primers, Federal #210 large rifle. For powder, I'd find a local friend that reloads that will let you try a couple powders to work up a load, you'll find real quick that your rifle will like one particular load better than another. If I couldn't find someone to "borrow" powder from, I'd get some IMR 4064 to start.

I think that about covers the basics....

Blueox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I have been reloading since the mid 1960's. The above is very good advice. As far as powders, primers, bullets go, everyone has their preferences. I personally like 165 grain bullets for the '06. Sectional density and ballistic co-efficient are optimal. I also like IMR 4350, for powders. Primers all work. You will have to test to see which gives you the best accuracy. Same for bullets and powders. Most reloading manuals give the results showing the most accurate load. But that is with their bullets. With regard to bullets, I am partial to Hornady and Nosler.

Have fun.

lone-wolf

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
ABCs of Reloading is a good book to start with.
Plus a proper reloading manual(hornady or whatever)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals