• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Good first gun options - .22 and russian surplus rifles?

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Okay I am doing my safety training this coming weekend, and then I can apply for my PAL (Canadian thing. Means I can get guns...) and I am trying to decide on what to get for my first gun(s).

I dont have a lot of money, and from what I've seen/heard online, I've narrowed it down a bit. I want a .22 rimfire rifle for obvious economic reasons. This will be my first gun. I am leaning towards something made by Savage Arms, either the Mark II or the model 64.

I also want something that fires something a bit more substantial. I was thinking either an SKS or a Mosin Nagant 91/30, as both are available for $200.

I feel like the big decision is which one do I want bolt action vs. semi auto, because I figure if I am getting two guns, I should get one of each regardless of calibre.

So I was wondering on peoples opinions on these 4 guns.
The Mark II and the model 64 from Savage arms are within $10 or so of eachother, and the big difference is the mark II is bolt action with the accutrigger, and the model 64 is semi-auto without the accutrigger. I assume the Mark II is more accurate, but can anyone verify that??

Anyone have input on the accutrigger?

Also, what are opinions on the SKS and Mosin Nagant 91/30?

My instincts say get the bolt action 22, and the semi-auto SKS, but I wanted your guys' opinions on the matter first.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
As for a .22, you can never go wrong with one, ammo is cheap and plentiful (sorta) and there are many makes and models to fit your style. As for the SKS and Mosin Nagant, they are both great weapons. My SKS is from 1964, milled and a very reliable weapon, ammo at the moment for me is hard to find for it, but the 7.62x39 is an excellent round, and in my opinion the SKS does not have much recoil. As well as a little shimmying you can get a 30 round duck bill mag into them. As for the Mosin Nagant, I have quite a few, as well as the carbine version. And I have to say being 70 years old, it kicks some ass. Very reliable, very collectable and very simple. 2 flathead screws hold it together. Ammo is not so bad for it either, its very plentiful, the 7.62x54R, and cheap. It has gone up a little, as I bought 440 rounds surplus for $80, as well as paying $200 for the rifle, I would wait a bit and hopefully they come down. I got all mine for $100 dollars so the gun hypes cooling down so just wait a bit. Both are very accurate as well. If you wanted to spend the extra money $500 bucks gets you the PU sniper version of the Nagant. But, I'm sure you just want something cheap to use. A cheap .22 right now are the bolt action ones, you can buy them at Wal-Mart even, if you're not familiar with shooting the bigger caliber rifles stay away from the Nagant till you feel you're ready. It's got a kick to it, and with a metal butt stock it will punish you for not holding it right, as for the SKS, it's much better recoil wise, and being semi-auto thats a bonus. And bolt action for me, is quite fun, I love cycling the bolt, maybe I'm just weird like that. Sorry for the exceptionally long .02 cents but this is kinda a nutshell of the weapons you're looking at. Though out of all of them, the Mosin Nagant is my favorite, holding a piece of history is the coolest feeling in the world, and just wondering where it's been, as mine has kill markings on it and many other things, it always keep's me wondering. If you plan on getting one I can help you decide which one's best, there are many different styles each armory put on their weapons. As well as dates, origins, ballistics, and everything else on it.

Last edited:

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Oh, and as for the Accutrigger, it basically gives you a nice light trigger pull, but with safety in mind, they are very nice, it helps the shooter element.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Awesome, thats the sorta info I was looking for on the sks and mosin nagant...

Anyone have any experience with Savage Arms' .22lr rimfire rifles?

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.

I have a bolt action from them in .17HMR its not a bad little gun at all, to be honest you should go with the Ruger 10/22 if you're thinking about getting a .22, they are very customizable and reliable.

Schnot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic

I have 2 mark II's and they're really good shooting guns. The action is not as smooth as my marlin but it still shoots great.

Ruger 10/22's are awesome and reliable but can be pricy.

What do you plan on doing with the rifles? Sport or hunting?

Sent from my iPhone.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My brother likes his Mark II.

I like my Mossberg 702, best $80 (like new-used) I have spent to date.

The 91/30's are good solid guns that seem pretty scare-proof. When there was nothing else on the shelves for ammo there was still tons of 7.62x54 here. They are kinda hard to scope and the stock sights leave a lot to be desired. I have the "Darrell's" scope mount with a pistol scope on mine.

If you want a bigger gun the Ruger American is a really nice rifle too. They have a trigger that is similar in idea to Savage but somehow works differently. I have one of those in 30-06.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have 2 mark II's and they're really good shooting guns. The action is not as smooth as my marlin but it still shoots great.

Ruger 10/22's are awesome and reliable but can be pricy.

What do you plan on doing with the rifles? Sport or hunting?

Sent from my iPhone.
Originally, I was interested in the Ruger 10/22, but from what I've read they are not as accurate out of the box as a Marlin 60 or a Savage model 64. The marlins seem to be the most accurate, but I would prefer something with a detachable magazine. I was also interested in a bolt-action .22 because I get the feeling I will be chewing through ammo with a semi-auto and dont want to deal with any overheating or anything... (and typically bolt-action are more accurate anyways, right?)

I am aware of the aftermarket for the ruger 10/22, so I might get one later down the line, but right now Im looking for a cheap, accurate gun to get me started.

The reason the SKS and the mosin-nagant appealed to me was for two reasons: One, they are dirt cheap. Same price as a .22 around here ($200)
Two, there is just something about owning an old russian military gun (even if they are surplus rifles that never saw use)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The Mosins probably did see use, I doubt too many got stockpiled in the early to mid 1940's... in a weird way the thought of that adds a little more respect to them. My ex sniper was $150 on sale for $100 at Cabelas a couple years ago.

The groundhog that was trying to live under my shed last week didn't seem to have any complaints about the 702's accuracy :D

Look the Marlins over good if you get a used one, they were bought out by Remington a few years ago and had some pretty major quality issues. They supposedly have it all worked out now...

Last edited:

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Look the Marlins over good if you get a used one, they were bought out by Remington a few years ago and had some pretty major quality issues. They supposedly have it all worked out now...
A marlin wasn't really on my list at this point, due to the lack of removable magazine, and the fact they seem to be more costly than the Savage mark II or model 64.

That said, thanks for the heads-up, never know what I'll come across used that'll steal my heart.

Can you elaborate on what sorta issues they had?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That said, thanks for the heads-up, never know what I'll come across used that'll steal my heart.

Can you elaborate on what sorta issues they had?
Use your imagination, on the early Remington made Marlins whatever you can imagine they turned out in their attempts to make somebody else's design in a dark basement while wearing oven mits (or so it seemed)

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Mosin Nagants are the best high calibers you can get for cheap. All mine were used in WW2 and have many scars and markings to prove it. My favorite is my PU sniper, with the scope on it, it kicks even more ass. The 7.62x54R is a great round, and considering how plentiful and cheap they are, it's something you can enjoy shooting. Like I said the recoil on them is quite hefty and the trigger pull can be very hard, they all differ in some slight way. The most Mosin's you'll find now were built at the Ishevik Armory, ones built in the Tula Armory tend to be more expensive. As well as earlier models with hex receivers were built at a high quality standard which tend to cost about 20-50 dollars extra. When you buy one though it comes with everything. A bayonet, cleaning kit, sling, and oil. As well as you can pick up modern parts for them to 'modernize them'. Or change them to replica PU snipers. I would get one just due to the fact they are cheap, and lots of fun. But when buying, make sure to look down the barrel and inspect them, some were arsenal refinished from damage during the war, and I tend to stray away from those. If they are dated 1944-up the chances they were used in the war was very slim, so keep that in mind. If the recoil is a bit to much for you, aftermarket parts have a nice recoil buttstock you can put on. This is my favorite weapon of all time, and there starting to dissipate slowly even though 17.5M were made, defiantly worth getting.

Defective

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Did I miss something? There are Marlin .22lr's with detachable magazines. The "Papoose" comes with detachable 7 rnd mag and has removable barrel and a waterproof/float-able pack for it. You can get 25 round mags also. If not interested in a collapsible rifle, then the 795 is available both blued and stainless.

I argued with myself over those in stainless and the ruger 10/22 and 10/22 take-down. I found the take-down available locally first, so that's what I got. I'm happy with it. Cool little rifle and it seems accurate enough so far but haven't shot it much yet. Lots of magazine choices for these.

I held a Marlin 795, blued before buying the Ruger. The Ruger trigger felt much better then the Marlin.

EDIT:
Just reread the OP. I say go with both auto's, or the larger caliber bolt.

Also meant to comment on the Savage accu-trigger. I have a 116 in 300wm with accu-stock and accu-trigger. The trigger is awesome for a stock trigger and is the reason I went with this gun. There are better triggers out there available for replacement, but out of the box, the the accu-trigger is one of the best. Also, Savage is known for out of the box accuracy at a good price.

Last edited:

Defective

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
And if you didn't know it, .22lr is the hardest normal ammunition to find right now, unless you want to pay 3 times normal retail off somebody on the internet.

I think things are slowly getting back to normal though.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
And if you didn't know it, .22lr is the hardest normal ammunition to find right now, unless you want to pay 3 times normal retail off somebody on the internet.

I think things are slowly getting back to normal though.
I can walk into any Canadian Tire or Walmart and buy em for $4/50 or cheaper, which considering anything else is practically $1 per bullet, thats damn cheap.

Again, Im in Canada, and here I am unaware of any issues obtaining ammo around here - I assume the US shortages are largely due to people being afraid of stuff not being available anymore after Sandy Hook and stocking up? I dunno, just speculation...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals