• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

head gasket?

BWOLIVER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 durasparked
Transmission
Manual
hey y'all

new to trs I wish I new about this site years ago. Here's my problem: Have a 84 ranger 2.8 4x4 etc... was showing symptoms of a blown head gasket(blowing alot of white out the tail pipe, water in the oil, the typical. Spent easter (wifes happy about that)yanken the heads and the gaskets appear to be totally complete, no cracks or breaks? prior to pulling the heads I was going to try some of that bars head gasket sealer, then ruled against it. First thing that stuff says to do is reverse flush the system which I did. while the hose was connected I noticed water coming from the vacuum port(I don't know what it called) its the thing behind the carb on the riser that has 4 or 5 nipples for vac lines attached. well water was coming out one of those nipples. That doesn't sound right, does it? when the carb was removed alot (2 cups) of fluid(gas/?) came out. could of been water i don't know. Help this is a real stumper! Just when you think you've run into everything with a truck you've owned 15 yrs something else pops up. thx for any and all responses ARGH!!!

Jorley

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 duraspark
Transmission
Manual
You should also have the heads checked to make sure they are not cracked. My original 2.8 had the classic symptoms(raditor bubbling), replaced head gasket, same problem. Decided to just rebuilt motor, they checked the heads, they were bad. Plus the block had been bored .060 over and was just worn out they wouldn't touch the block went ahead got new heads and built it, no bubbling in radiator but low compress in #5. lucky to find a used reman one someone had pulled for a 4.0 swap.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
hey y'all

new to trs I wish I new about this site years ago. Here's my problem: Have a 84 ranger 2.8 4x4 etc... was showing symptoms of a blown head gasket(blowing alot of white out the tail pipe, water in the oil, the typical. Spent easter (wifes happy about that)yanken the heads and the gaskets appear to be totally complete, no cracks or breaks? prior to pulling the heads I was going to try some of that bars head gasket sealer, then ruled against it. First thing that stuff says to do is reverse flush the system which I did. while the hose was connected I noticed water coming from the vacuum port(I don't know what it called) its the thing behind the carb on the riser that has 4 or 5 nipples for vac lines attached. well water was coming out one of those nipples. That doesn't sound right, does it? when the carb was removed alot (2 cups) of fluid(gas/?) came out. could of been water i don't know. Help this is a real stumper! Just when you think you've run into everything with a truck you've owned 15 yrs something else pops up. thx for any and all responses ARGH!!!
have the heads checked as jorley said.may not be the heads,but having them checked is a good thing for piece of mind.

were the intake manifold bolts loose or the intake manifold gasket bad?did the bolts have silicone on on some of them when removed?

the item you refered to behind the carb is called "the vacuum tree" which i learned right here on trs.

let us know what you find and if i come up with anything else i'll chime in.

BWOLIVER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 durasparked
Transmission
Manual
This is awesome to have such quick responses. I will have the heads checked. thanks for the vac tree info and yes a couple of the intake bolts were slightly loose, the intake gasket came off in peices so I don't really know how bad it was, and there was a little rtv on a few of the bolts. what does all that mean? I was planning on since they were off anyway to have the heads cleaned up and new valve seals maybe full valve job. did one the last time the heads were off, which was n't to many miles ago 15k maybe but that was also 10 yrs ago. this was my toy/trash hauler.

Jorley

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 duraspark
Transmission
Manual
Hate to hijack your thread, but how long have you had the duraspark and how doe you like it? I'm planning on doing mine when I can ge parts.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is awesome to have such quick responses. I will have the heads checked. thanks for the vac tree info and yes a couple of the intake bolts were slightly loose, the intake gasket came off in peices so I don't really know how bad it was, and there was a little rtv on a few of the bolts. what does all that mean? I was planning on since they were off anyway to have the heads cleaned up and new valve seals maybe full valve job. did one the last time the heads were off, which was n't to many miles ago 15k maybe but that was also 10 yrs ago. this was my toy/trash hauler.
rtv under the intake bolt heads keeps coolant from seeping up past the bolts.i put a dab on the end of the bolt threads as well.

seems wise to do the heads while they are off as you have planned,hope they check out good.those valve seals are notorious for breakdown.

who knows,may have been the intake gasket.

BWOLIVER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 durasparked
Transmission
Manual
My neighbor had it for about six months then some crzy decided to pull out in front him and he totalled his rig so I made a deal with him I'd get rid of the remains if it could become my parts truck. I'm not sure I did the total conversion, but thus far everything has been doing great and it sure was liberating ripping all that smog and half computer crap out. The neighbor let me know that all he did was basiclly rob a 77 granada of the coil, dist, luckly 2bbl holley. ive only had it on about 3 months so far so good

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
works for me.i plan the duraspark conversion later this year and already have the computer disabled.

i had to open it when i got it and found the valve seals in pieces in the lifter valley.

151000 original miles and i am third owner in the family.have all the original paperwork and owners manual.there is a picture in the gallery section.

you can find the ford factory manuals on ebay if interested.anyway good luck and happy wrenching.post all questions and check out the tech library.

BWOLIVER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 durasparked
Transmission
Manual
skippy, does water coming out of that vac tree indicate a bad intake gasket to you? Is that tree pretty much just a tube or is there a valve or something in there. I'm posting from work and can't just go look right now.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
skippy, does water coming out of that vac tree indicate a bad intake gasket to you? Is that tree pretty much just a tube or is there a valve or something in there. I'm posting from work and can't just go look right now.
just a vacuum header into the intake.source for all the vacuum lines.

i don't know for sure about the intake,but that was my first thought.

if the heads check out,then i would really lean toward the intake gasket.

you will probably have a tech advisor reading this thread soon who can provide more options and advise,so hang in there.

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The water is coming from a failed seal either between the intake manifold, which would be first guess from what you described or the heads.
As long as the heads are off, get a valve job; the labor doing the R & R on the heads is the hardest.
Good heads and the new gaskets should do it if you reinstall properly - see the comment on the RTV sealant on the bolts; all manuals should cover that.

BWOLIVER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 durasparked
Transmission
Manual
got everything back from the shop, ready for the install. Of course it has decided to start snowing, and me with no garage. argh!!! why can't this crap break in the summer. murphy's law I guess. I'm really getting to hate that guy!(murphy)

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
got everything back from the shop, ready for the install. Of course it has decided to start snowing, and me with no garage. argh!!! why can't this crap break in the summer. murphy's law I guess. I'm really getting to hate that guy!(murphy)
sounds like the heads were allright,bet it was the intake gasket.

you did have all the ports on the vacuum tree in use right?none of them are open to atmosphere right.just asking because you indicated water came out under pressure.blow off a line?

happy wrenching,skip dawg.

BWOLIVER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 durasparked
Transmission
Manual
all nubs of the vac tree were either in use or capped. the nub that the water was coming out of blew off the cap. I went back and tried to put the intake gasket back togather to see if there was a blow out, but it was pretty much shot, couldn't really get a true feel to what had happened. Just going to reassemble and PRAY that does it. I just have to keep telling myself that I only gave $500 for the truck 12 years ago and it has been pretty good. Now with handing it down to my son he can break some more stuff. teen age drivers egads!!!

alabamaranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90 YJ Wrangler
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would do the cooling passage upgrade on the heads while they are off. I think it's just one hole that needs to be drilled into the head to allow better cooling through the head.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals