• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cutting Gun Stock Blanks

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Me and a friend are wanting to try and do some custom stocks at some point for our rifles. I've got some more questions as I still consider myself a bit of an amateur when it comes to guns.

I've searched around a long freaking time on the internet and the consensus was "WALNUT". But further searches come up with all kinds of different types of wood for exotic stocks. Really the main argument for things other than walnut was that "it's not traditional".

First question: If it's good hardwood does it really matter?

We just lost a 300 year old White Oak tree, my neighbor has a TON of Cherry, Birch, Walnut, and more from a pipeline they're putting in through his back property. And if it's not used for this, it's all pretty much firewood. At this time, it's not firewood sized. They were directed to cut it into as long and as straight of chunks as possible that they could move.

Second question: What part can I cut stocks from? Trunk? Limbs? Heartwood? (I know sap wood is not too desirable) Any so long as it's rifle stock length? Recommendations are welcome.

I've read that the root-ball has the fanciest patterns, I can only get that from the Oak (hopefully), but they're might be some stumps back on my neighbors property still.

Third question: Should I cut logs with bends in them that follow the curves in the stock?

Looking to start chopping up the oak in the next few days. I know some of this stuff takes years to dry, but I hate to see it just get burned. Besides, it'd be cool to get a bit of money from them too. :icon_twisted:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know back in the day oak was shunned because it was what poor people had for furnature. Maple and walnut were much more in "fashion" for those with the bucks.

Nowadays birch is really common on low end wood stocked guns. Like with the Marlin lever actions, the 336C gets walnut and the 336W gets birch.

You will need to find someone with a kiln to dry it. Letting it sit for a couple years lets it dry enough for firewood but it takes forever (10+ years) for it to dry on its own to really work with it.

It would be neat to play with, I think pistol grips would be fun to make.

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Man, that's a good question. We've got a few people around these parts that make stocks. My FIL had an old, old, English .410 re-stocked by a guy down the road. I'd talk to the pros about it. I'd be happy to get his name and contact info for you if you are interested.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals