• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2 topics: driving chirping and not running belt to ac comp?

Shotokan1509

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Two topics.. couldn't really put them in a category. By the way, good to be back registered with TRS, been busy but still lurked a bit.

95 ranger 4.0 4x4 auto trans manual hubs

1.) Low speed I hear a chirping, I am guessing drivers side front. The chirping stops if I touch the brakes, and I do not think I hear it at higher speeds. Everything brake job 15-20k ago.. bearings 5k ago. Slight shudder under hard braking, but not a full on warped feel.

2.) Last summer I tried to recharge my a/c and found the leak because the recharge blew a line completely off. I never fixed it and well.. i am guessing my compressor is junk since that line was not capped for a while. Do you think I should run a shorter belt to skip the compressor completely?

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
The squeak could be a bent dust shield touching the rotor...I'd check that before you take anything apart, or it could be a pad dragging.

And the previous owner of my truck removed the A/C compressor so it has a shorter belt on it.... I couldn't tell you if its still good though.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
why would your compressor be junk? if you want A/C you can just flush and evacuate the system. if you dont want it, just let your current belt right the compressors idler pulley...it wont hurt anything.

or you can convert the compressor for on-board-air use :D

Shotokan1509

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
why would your compressor be junk? if you want A/C you can just flush and evacuate the system. if you dont want it, just let your current belt right the compressors idler pulley...it wont hurt anything.

or you can convert the compressor for on-board-air use :D

I "capped" the line (tape).. at some point in the middle of last winter I lost the tape and the line (to the top of the compressor) was open to the elements. Just assuming it got junked up. At this point I won't be trying to fix it this summer.

The squeak could be a bent dust shield touching the rotor...I'd check that before you take anything apart, or it could be a pad dragging.
When I did the full brake job I put reman'ed calipers on. Think I just need to regrease the slides? Obviously I really just need to take the wheel off, but need to find the time.. I have to tear apart the parents Taurus dash first.. all the instrument bulbs are burnt out = no speedo at night.

Last edited:

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
A hard-braking-only shudder is often due to marginal rotors. They get a little too hot and warp temporarily. If this is going on, measuring runout on a cold rotor will very often yield good results. Measure the thickness. If it's below or near minimum, replace the rotors. Warped rotors will shudder under all braking conditions, down to a dead stop.

Shotokan1509

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
A hard-braking-only shudder is often due to marginal rotors. They get a little too hot and warp temporarily. If this is going on, measuring runout on a cold rotor will very often yield good results. Measure the thickness. If it's below or near minimum, replace the rotors. Warped rotors will shudder under all braking conditions, down to a dead stop.
I'll take a gander sometime this week.

Any opinions on whether I should bypass the never used a/c compressor?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
bypassing the compressor wont accomplish anything...but if your addiment about bypassing it, it wont hurt anything to do so.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals