• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Started the 2.3T swap!

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Started the 2.3T swap! 4/30/08 -> SHE RUNS!!!

I yanked my 2.3, installed the turbo coupe rods and pistons with new bearings and rings and a good hone. Drilled and tapped an oil return. Blasted and painted everything. Installed a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch. Installed my ported big valve dual plug head. Put it back in the truck as NA motor. That's where I am right now. I wanted to let the new parts break in for a couple weeks before boosting it.

It started the first try after the rebuild. Runs good except the lifters don't seem to be "pumping up" as there is a tapping sound coming from the valve cover. I think this is because I ran the oil supply for the turbo through a cooler and then right into the turbo oil return on the block. I think I'm getting too much flow through the cooler without the turbo in the loop. This is causing not enough pressure to pump up the lifters. I'll try plugging that line tomorrow.

It really breathes great at higher RPMs with the ported head. Although it does seem a little down on power. I think I might have the cam timing off a tooth or two. That would explain the power loss. That or it's the 1 point loss in compression with the turbo pistons. I'll double check the cam timing tomorrow as well.

Oh, and having a clutch that doesn't slip at more than 10% throttle is really nice! :shok:

Pics coming soon.

Last edited:

ejholmgren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
what are you running for an ems ... the stock ecu?

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The 8:1 compression will really make a difference NA compared to factory 9.3:1 CR. When I build up my boosted engine I'm gonna run factory NA compression with the boost for even more fun.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
I am running the stock ECU for now with no CEL's. I have an LB3 (ECU from the turbocoupe) that I will install along with the VAM, electric fan, and octane switch when I install the turbo.

Mine is higher than 8:1 compression because I'm using the ranger dual plug head, which has smaller chambers than the turbocoupe head. So I've got turbo pistons, felpro 1035 headgasket, and a dual plug head. That puts me somewhere between the turbocoupe 8.0:1 and the ranger 9.3:1. With the thicker gasket I think I'm closer to 8.5:1. Just low enough to run 15 PSI on pump gas but with a little more compression than the stock turbo motors.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
I tried plugging the turbo oil feed to see if that would stop the tapping but it didn't. Anyone got any ideas?

Also, the motor is making some smelly exhaust. I'm thinking this is just all the crap and chemicals burning off, but I'd like some second opinions.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Update:

It turned out I was a tooth off on the cam timing. I've corrected that and now the tapping sound only comes and goes. Also when it is there, it's gotten quieter. Now it's only really a clicking sound. Probably just needs some more break in and it will be gone completely.

Also the exhaust is getting more and more cleaner and normal the more I drive it.

I think all is good!

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
sounds good. you are doing it similar to how i did it. i just ran on an LA2 for a while with no turbo in between.

ri06667

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
keep us posted? have you turbo'd it yet? did the ticking go away? i am interested

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Ticking has gotten quieter but not gone away. I'm not worried about it. After all I have a complete extra cam and set of followers. I think it's just the hardened valve seats. You can only hear it at idle. Other than that the motor runs really great.

I just finished moving the ignition coils. I also put together a system of relays to run the electric fan. I plan on beginning the turbo install this weekend. All the parts are in my basement waiting for me.

Unfortunately, school has been taking up all my time. I kind of put the ranger off until I took the FE (fundamentals of engineering) exam last saturday. Now I'm concentrated on the ranger again.

My parents just gave me an their old pontiac bonneville (a 99 with 200000 on it). It currently doesn't run because of the security system being hosed. I need to get that running good so I can have something fuel-efficient to drive 500 miles a week while the ranger's down. It is cost prohibitive to drive my explorer that much. My brother's fiance has the other 2.9 ranger or I'd drive that.

So assuming I can get the bonneville going, I'll start the ranger turbo install this weekend.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Also, the cylinder head was ported to flow 65% over stock. It also has oversize stainless valves along with a ported intake manifold.

These mods alone have made a big difference. Even at 8.5:1 compression (stock is 9.4:1) it has a lot more power than stock. From 4000-redline the motor absolutely screams! With new street tires and a tight L/S it will chirp the tires going into 2nd and 3rd. 0-60 is about 8-9 seconds.

With 2 more points of compression and a cam, a NA motor would be a nice combo for a little ranger. It would for sure blow the doors off a 2.9 or 3.0 and I bet would be close to a 4.0 for acceleration time.

So if anyone is thinking about a naturally aspirated build, I say go for it!

backerm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
that sounds like an awesome truck. I've been thinking about adding a turbo, I already have a return line port in my oil pan. Were you able to keep your a/c? What size cam are you running? Did you change springs? A heavier spring will make more tap. Plus a new cam usually takes a few thousand miles to fully break in.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
I didn't have A/C to begin with

I am running the stock ranger roller cam that is 200,000 miles broken in. It just looked so perfect that I couldn't bear to replace it! lol

I used the old springs but they now have a spacer under them.

backerm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
yeah them roller cams don't wear much. The a/c takes up the whole right side of the engine bay, so I doubt it would fit. but hell, i'll take horsyes over a/c any day!!!! Did you put new lifters in? If not, you should change them out, especially if you still hear tapping now.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
I'm in the middle of the turbo swap right now. Maybe after I get it running good I'll put new lifters in it. The machinist that put the head together said the old lifters looked so good that he didn't see the point of getting new ones. But we'll see. Right now I just can't wait to hit boost in it.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
So after 2 full weekends of working on it, I officially took it for the first test drive with it running right. It runs like a bat outta hell! I did not realize that it would be so fast.

At only 8 PSI, it pulled 90 mph in a distance that my parents '99 Bonneville or '99 Crown Vic would only pull 70 mph in. And those cars are not slouches!

I can't imagine what 15 PSI would feel like. Already I can just see the hood raise up and the rear sink in as I get thrown back in the seat when it hits boost. I think I'm going to like this!

Only now I wish I would have put the setup in something a little more refined than a 18 year old, rusty, $600 ranger! Oh well, it will be the ultimate sleeper!

I still have a few more things to finish. I need to have an exhaust made up. Right now it's just running about 4' of 3" down pipe. I also need to snag a 4.0L auto radiator as the 4-banger ranger one is having a hard time keeping up under boost. I also have to figure out what's causing the CEL.

My motivation is comepletely renewed!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals