• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tire/wheel size help wanted

michowski

Reaction score
Ok im gonna be in the market for new rims/tires in the up comming months. Right now I dont know what any of the numbers mean for sizes. I know rim sizes like 15, 16 inch. What I wanted to learn is when they say for rims 15x10.5, what does the 10.5 represent. Same thing for tires. 35x12.5, whats the 12.5 represent. Ive tried to google this but can never find just a straight up answer. Is there a run down somebody has that tells you the basics?

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the 10.5 would be how wide the wheel is, there are also offsets, which would be how deep the hub would be from the outside of the wheel. tires are (for example 35x12.5x15) the 35 would be how tall the tire is in inches(from the ground to the very top of the tire), the 12.5 would be how wide the tread is, and the 15 would be wheel size.... also the wheel does not have to be as wide as the tread of the tire. you can go to almost any online tire store(such as www.tirerack.com) and it will tell you the min and max wheel width for what tire size you are looking for. if you need any more help, let me know

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
15x10.5 isn't a standard wheel size, so if that's what you were trying to google, might be why nothing useful came up.

Standard 15" rim widths are generally 6", 7", 8", 10" and 12" (there are occasionally 14s available in some styles, too). It is the distance between the bead lips on the rim.

On a 35x12.50R15, the 12.50 is the cross-sectional tire width (between the outer bulge of the sidewalls), and is usually given for a specified rim width, as it will vary some with rim width.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
he is right about the 10.5 rim with, sorry i didnt even think about that! but some common stock ranger wheel sizes are 6.5inch width or 7.5 rim width. i think anything over 8inch wide,and most aftermarket wheels, there are no ".5's".

Last edited:

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
Ok im gonna be in the market for new rims/tires in the up comming months. Right now I dont know what any of the numbers mean for sizes. I know rim sizes like 15, 16 inch. What I wanted to learn is when they say for rims 15x10.5, what does the 10.5 represent. Same thing for tires. 35x12.5, whats the 12.5 represent. Ive tried to google this but can never find just a straight up answer. Is there a run down somebody has that tells you the basics?
If you're going to do any serious wheeling on a 12.5 wide tire and air it down, I'd run an 8 inch wide wheel, if you're just running on the street, and some mild offroad, run the 10 inch wide wheel, it will give you a better contact patch on the road, and help wear your tires more evenly.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals