• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1998 Ford Ranger 5.0 build. Explorer AWD?

dshwopper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello, my names Dustin. I'm new at this. If anyone has any info to help be awesome! I have a 1997 Ford Explorer 5.0 awd. It has a 4r70w transmission. Now I have a 1998 Ford Ranger 2.5l 2wd 4r44 transmission. Now I want to put this 5.0l in my Ranger and transmission. Now my problem is this. I have an AWD Explorer. Has a AWD output shaft for a transfer case. My question is how much of a pain is it to buy a new output shaft to put it in and put a tail housing on it? I can get both parts for 250 at Ford. Should I buy a new transmission that's already 2wd? But I already know my transmission has all the gears, I want to stick with the same one. And also if I do this, my speed sensor is on the transfer case? If I buy a new tail housing will it have the speed sensor on there? Well a hole for it? And should the output shaft have the gears for the speed sensor? And if anyone has done this build let me know, like to know what kinds of problems I'm about to run into. And what info you used for wiring and anything else. Thank you.

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
to keep awd you would have to swap the whole explorer suspension in your truck. so you have to ask your self if thats cheaper than buying a 2wd trans and worth the hassle.

dshwopper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
to keep awd you would have to swap the whole explorer suspension in your truck. so you have to ask your self if thats cheaper than buying a 2wd trans and worth the hassle.
I ain't trying to keep the AWD. I'm not doing AWD in my Ranger. I want to keep it to 2wd. My question was the outputshaft and the tail housing with the speed sensor? I have a 1997 Ford Explorer 5.0 AWD 96k on it for $500. Is it a cheaper run to buy a 2wd transmission and sell mine? Or would it be cheaper to buy the output shaft for 75 and tail housing for 175. And that's at the dealership. I've had my problems with a junkyard with a tail housing on my Ranger, only parts I'd buy at the dealership.

Even with these two trucks I'm going pretty good. I got my 98 Ranger back in 2009 for $400 had 197k on it and tail housing bearing was gone. Now I have a 99 tailhousing on it witch has a different measurments than a 98. Causing my truck with only park, or no park. Now my truck has 222k on it, tail housing rear seal leaks a little, lubes everything. No rust on it and I live in Maine. Then I got this 1997 Ford Explorer AWD with 96k rusted out rocker panels. for $500. Should I buy a new tranny out of a crown vic so it'll be the same except the AWD to 2wd? Or tail housing with output shaft?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals