• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2003 exploder= biggest P.O.S. I've ever owned

backwoods

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just a quick little rant. :nopityA:

I've never towed with the vehicle. It has never seen dirt. Never been wrecked. Has 130k miles.

Since I've owned it, I've rebuilt the rear end. Replaced both front axles. Repaired the transmission. I have to do ball joints and wheel bearings in the front EVERY year. Sometimes twice a year. Tonight I get to dig into the rack on it. Seals are shot and there is so much play in it, I thought a ball joint was broken. Every other rear I replace the springs. Not from wear, but because they will crack. (I've never seen that on any of my road vehicles).

The hinges on the rear lift gate break every couple years. The lift gate literally cracked through. Not the glass, but the frame. It has NEVER started on the first key turn. It drinks about 2 quarts of oil between 5k changes. I don't even want to list all the electrical issues like the door sensor which had killed several batteries and randomly sets off the alarm, no matter how many times I replace it.

I loved my f-150s, my mustangs, Bronco & bronco II, and now my ranger. Even loved driving my '65 falcon year round. (great car in the snow). But this explorer is the biggest piece of junk I've ever owned.

:temper::pissedoff:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Since I've owned it,
How long have you owned it?
I've rebuilt the rear end. Replaced both front axles. Repaired the transmission.
Rear end problems are somewhat common, the axles I can see having at least blown the boots by now, and "repaired the trans" covers a lot of area. Did it need a valve body, the sleeve for the OD servo, or a total overhaul?

I have to do ball joints and wheel bearings in the front EVERY year. Sometimes twice a year.
That is excessive in the extreme. What brand are you buying?

Tonight I get to dig into the rack on it. Seals are shot and there is so much play in it, I thought a ball joint was broken.
The rack seals will wear out after a while. Most vehicles I see that are 2005 and older have had a rack, or need one. They will last longer if you keep the fluid changed.

Every other rear I replace the springs. Not from wear, but because they will crack. (I've never seen that on any of my road vehicles). The hinges on the rear lift gate break every couple years.
Again, I agree that is excessive, what brand are you buying?

The lift gate literally cracked through. Not the glass, but the frame.
I know the little fiberglass frame under the windows crack all the time. Are you talking about that or the actual metal structure of the lift gate?

There was a recall on the hinges and bolts for that body (I don't know if that specific year was involved) that was supposed to eliminate cracking of the glass and trim work.

It has NEVER started on the first key turn.
Have you ever had it to a professional to get that looked at?

It drinks about 2 quarts of oil between 5k changes.
Burning or leaking?

I don't even want to list all the electrical issues like the door sensor which had killed several batteries and randomly sets off the alarm, no matter how many times I replace it.
Have you considered that the wiring or module may be at fault and not the sensor that never seems to fix the problem? All that stuff routes through the GEM module, which is supposed to include a time-delay battery saver relay that will time everything out after 5 or 10 minutes anyway. Sounds more like GEM issues than door sensor issues to me.

But this explorer is the biggest piece of junk I've ever owned.

:temper::pissedoff:
They are somewhat more delicate than previous versions. I don't care for them myself. Large, bulky, unwieldy, delicate suspensions, and not much to look at either.

backwoods

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How long have you owned it?
since 2004. Bought it used with less than 30k miles.

Rear end problems are somewhat common, the axles I can see having at least blown the boots by now, and "repaired the trans" covers a lot of area. Did it need a valve body, the sleeve for the OD servo, or a total overhaul?
Replaced solenoid. Also had to replace a servo piston.

That is excessive in the extreme. What brand are you buying?
Started with duralast and that is when I was replacing them twice a year. Switched to Timken (always had good luck on everything else with timken-atvs, cars etc) which got me down to replacing them once a year.

The rack seals will wear out after a while. Most vehicles I see that are 2005 and older have had a rack, or need one. They will last longer if you keep the fluid changed.
Ya, not really so much a surprise as just a lot bigger undertaking then I wanted for a weekday evening. My wife needs it for school tues/thurs. I was hoping to just be a ball joint...

Again, I agree that is excessive, what brand are you buying?
First couple times I stuck with motorcraft. But at the price/frequency I had to replace them, I became a JY parts collector.

I know the little fiberglass frame under the windows crack all the time. Are you talking about that or the actual metal structure of the lift gate?
When the fiberglass frame cracked, I just accepted it. But the metal structure of the lift gate near the corner actually appears to have fractured. There is a hairline crack on the outside/inside that shows through the paint.

There was a recall on the hinges and bolts for that body (I don't know if that specific year was involved) that was supposed to eliminate cracking of the glass and trim work.
I'll look into the recall, cause it is time to replace them again. First time it broke I was at a compusa store. They were having a store closeout so I stocked up on a bunch of gear for a few of my IT accounts. Went to put about 5k worth of computer gear in the back of the car and the window fell off. Of course it was pouring rain....:yahoo:

Have you ever had it to a professional to get that looked at?
Yep. This vehicle made me lose faith in my mechanic skills ( I worked at a transmission repair shop for a while, so I at least have an idea on which end of the wrench to hold- most of the time :D). I have spent several thousand dollars (close to 10k in shop bills, not counting the parts I've done myself) in repair bills at different shops thinking maybe I was installing the bearings incorrectly. (not seating them correctly or overtorquing it) but the repair schedule seems to be about the same.

Burning or leaking?
I have always assumed burning. I have seen random small spots of fluid on the driveway recently, hadn't been able to determine what it was. Now I know it was from the rack. Now, it could be leaking while driving, but I have not found any trace.

Have you considered that the wiring or module may be at fault and not the sensor that never seems to fix the problem? All that stuff routes through the GEM module, which is supposed to include a time-delay battery saver relay that will time everything out after 5 or 10 minutes anyway. Sounds more like GEM issues than door sensor issues to me.
Never thought of that! Thanks for the idea! Now that you mention it, it used to shut off after ~10 minutes but hasn't for a few years.

They are somewhat more delicate than previous versions. I don't care for them myself. Large, bulky, unwieldy, delicate suspensions, and not much to look at either.
I agree. Wife loved it though. It's an EB. She decided at the time that an expedition was just too large and we needed the third row. (I have 4 kids).

backwoods

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, I just pulled out my file on the car and started looking at costs. So, at 8 years of ownership, I'm over 24k in repair costs. I think I paid ~20k for the vehicle.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Sounds like the trade-in light is on.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Must have been built on a Monday or a Friday. The wife has an 03 with a 4.6 and 180,000 on it and have only done a transmission rebuild (at 90,000) all wheel bearings and the timing chain and guides. Had it since 04 bought it with 30,000. Still going strong with no intentions of trading.

backwoods

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Must have been built on a Monday or a Friday. The wife has an 03 with a 4.6 and 180,000 on it and have only done a transmission rebuild (at 90,000) all wheel bearings and the timing chain and guides. Had it since 04 bought it with 30,000. Still going strong with no intentions of trading.
Quit yer braggin...

Every time I think of trading it in, I look at the price for something else and the payment comes out higher than my repair costs averaged over 12 months. So, I suck it up and fix it. So, in 6 months when I have to tear into it again, I'll be all pissed off again. I was offered $1500 on trade at two different dealerships. (because of all these issues.)

There is a good chance that the next time it breaks down, the seats are going in my ranger and the 4.6 will find a new home as well. Then I'll take a can of gas and a match to it...

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Quit yer braggin...

Every time I think of trading it in, I look at the price for something else and the payment comes out higher than my repair costs averaged over 12 months. So, I suck it up and fix it. So, in 6 months when I have to tear into it again, I'll be all pissed off again. I was offered $1500 on trade at two different dealerships. (because of all these issues.)

There is a good chance that the next time it breaks down, the seats are going in my ranger and the 4.6 will find a new home as well. Then I'll take a can of gas and a match to it...
I'm not bragging...cause if I started everything would go wrong with it. It is different to hear others saying what a problem they have had with vehicles and others saying they have had no problems at all.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
might come out as more money, but is it not worth it so you don't have to constantly work on stuff? something is wrong with that thing... or maybe its just the repairs (I'm not doubting you, but something is fishy)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals